• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Treasure chest or no treasure chest

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Well group this should be an interesting challenge. I just brought the 66 SV (54K original miles) back from Vegas.

The good news is 20 years ago when to owner disassembled the car for the "resto" he bagged and tagged everything. In addition the car came with a chest of NOS and repo parts such as gaskets, weather stripping, rubber parts etc. Some parts in original bags that I dont have a clue what they are.

The bad news is because I was not the one who disassembled the car I have no vision to the re-assembly. The challenge is to identify all the parts and determine if there are missing parts such as fasteners etc. that may have been misplaced in the past 20 years of storage. Or perhaps any special instructions.

I will be posting a link to the resto project on Webshots. http://community.webshots.com/user/forzadesign
Anyone have suggestions on how I could let the club participate with this part of the project by contributing with all their experience?

Thanks in advance,

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

You will definately be able to get some help on the forum or even physical help if you are close to some of the forum members. At least the previous owner labelled the parts, which will be a great help. Keep us informed on the restoration.

Regards, Robin.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I'm far from being an expert, however I may be able to be of Some assistance. where in SoCal are you locited?

Rich

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, That car looks great! What a nice clean body to start with! The dash and seats look really good too. Wish we could find them like that here in the Northeast.

That shouldn't take you that long to put together. What you need is a good parts manual that will show you how the assemblies and sub assemblies go together and, more importantly, how they should look when they are back together. Too bad you're on the "other" coast as I've taken apart & put together more S5's than I'd like to remember and would be willing to help you sort this one out.

By the way, do you still have the S3GT?
Cheers!
Steve

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim,
It would be interesting to number and open each bag, then take a reasonably hi-res photograph of the contents. Then, when you're looking for 'some part that apparently holds this other part in place', we can page thru your pix and say: "The big funny-lookin' three-eared bracket in picture 12 is what holds your brake booster on." Or somethin.
Just a thought. Might make a fun coffee-table book, too...

Ken

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Good morning group,
It appears you have been busy this morning with this one! Great suggestions already. I had planned on getting the work shop manual. Sharong, thanks for the link to the parts manual PDF. I just downloaded it. I think these two publications will cover most of my direct questions. I still look forward to posting threads about certain re-assembly issues to allow the forum to comment and suggest how to avoid mistakes or suggestions on improved procedures.

So here is bone head move No. 1. Got the car home and decided to put the separate hood and deck lid on the car so they wouldn't get damaged. Guess what ...... they are both round corner!!!! Well I found a super nice square corner set here in Orange County and purchased them yesterday. Now I have a beautiful pair of round corner lids if anyone in SoCal is interested.

Thanks again. All humor aside, I really do think I will have more fun when it gets back from paint and the resurrection begins.

Jim

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Thanks Steve.
I do still have the SIV GT. Have not touched it. I have been researching the GT differences and trying to acquire the parts accordingly.

This SV is in remarkable shape. the body is actually straighter that it looks in pics and I cannot find even a spec of surface rust on the under carriage. The interior still blows my mind. Its hard to beleive this all the original interior (except dash) without a seam separated. The original soft top is still there and the rear window is still 75% clear.

Jim

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Was this the car in Henderson, NV?

Thanks Steve.
I do still have the SIV GT. Have not touched it. I have been researching the GT differences and trying to acquire the parts accordingly.

This SV is in remarkable shape. the body is actually straighter that it looks in pics and I cannot find even a spec of surface rust on the under carriage. The interior still blows my mind. Its hard to beleive this all the original interior (except dash) without a seam separated. The original soft top is still there and the rear window is still 75% clear.

Jim