• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission question

jzuk7

Donation Time
Now that I'm done with the engine (other than rebuilding the carb) I need to focus on the transmission. I have a 4 speed from a 77 Mustang II that I'm planning on using. I would prefer to use a T-5, but I need to save money for that.

IIRC, the slave cylinder to use for the T-5 is the Willwood
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WIL-260-1333&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Will this slave cylinder work with the 4 speed trans that I have?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the T-5 is about the same size as the 4-speed. When I come across a t-5, it should be an easy swap for the 4-speed, right?

I take it that the clutch, pressure plate are still hard to find?

Thanks,

Joel

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Joel,

The four speed will work, but you will have to cut farther back into the driveshaft tunnel to accommodate the farther back location of the four speed shifter. When you go to switch to the T5, you'll have to rework this area of the floor. Since you will need to widen the transmission tunnel to fit the four speed too, you will be able to swap in the T5 later.

The hydraulic slave cylinder for the conversion, is the same for both transmissions. The Mustang II four speed is better than the Capri four speed, but not ideal for the conversion.

I think a source for the clutch and pressure plate has been found, but one of the other guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jose :)