• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission for a V6 Conversion

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose,

The ebay ad list it as a Warner T450D. That can be used instead of the T5? :confused:

Thanks
Mike

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The ebay ad list it as a Warner T450D. That can be used instead of the T5? :confused:

Disregard my previous post. Just figured out that T450D is actuall T-45 OD.
Same ratios as the Mustang V8 T-5. Not sure about the input shaft length or pilot diameter.

Mike :rolleyes:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Based on the number on the tag on this transmission (TTET2016), according to Tremec it is a T5. I've been back and forth with this seller on ebay. He insists his data shows it to be a T45 OD. If you look at the two, the difference is obvious. On the T45 the bellhousing is part of the transmisson. It can be removed, but it is actually the front of it and bolts to the tranny from the inside, not the 4 bolts on the outside like the T5. Also the shipping cost estimate is quite prohibitive. I'm about 360 miles from Pensacola and the freight estimate was nearly $250. I think I will continue to search locally. Attached is the front of a T45 OD.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike: you might want to try contacting LKQ. http://www.lkqcorp.com/ They are a huge auto recycling company (don't call them junk yards anymore) with locations all over the country. I bought my transmission from them via eBay a few years ago and they shipped it to a location near me for an additional $70. I later had it checked out by a Ford mechanic and he confirmed that it was exactly as advertised.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Jim

I'll check that out. There's a Rusty Acres (only Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury parts) near me and I'm waiting for a reply on a T5 that they have. Sent them an email trying to get the milage, condition, and tag info, but haven't hear anything yet. This guy at Transmission Technology (guess they build the Tremecs) was a big help.
Jeff Chytil <jeff.chytil@ttcautomotive.com> He also told me that all the Tremec T5 manufacturer numbers start with TTET or 1352. Also the ebay sellers warranty was only that it would fit what they said it did.
(His email to me: "I will warranty it to fit 99-04 3.8L and 04 3.9L. Anything else is not covered under warranty.")

Mike