• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tin Grommets

John Boggis

Donation Time
I have found eight of these tin boot/trunk grommets.
I wonder how many Alpines still have these original tin grommets or have replaced them with the incorrect rubber ones.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I've got them in the boot..... but they don't look ANY thing like that anymore.

Tom j

mikephillips

Donation Time
Got a couple left, but the rest have had the retaining strap break off from decay. The Tiger has none as the trunk floor was completely perished at the back.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Surprisingly, I still have mine. The paint's a bit crusty on some, but they're still there.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Ok I give up, what are they for?

Twospeed...If you look under your trunk mat you will see four drain holes...these should have the push in tin grommets. Although most Alpines now have the rubber grommets in the holes.

The tin ones make a car factory correct.

65beam

Donation Time
grommets

john,
i have heard some folks speculate that these were line up holes when the floor panel went into the stamping press.

alpine_64

Donation Time
john,
i have heard some folks speculate that these were line up holes when the floor panel went into the stamping press.

I heard the same thing.. actually i rang someone after seeing this thread to ask what they had in their car.. i was under the impression they would have used rubber plugs and the hoels were drains.. he said no.. metal plugs and that they were from the stamping/aligning process.

John Boggis

Donation Time
john,

Well you learn something every day ! I always thought these were drain holes... but it does sounds possible that they were for aligning the floor panel.