• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The rattle from H.E. Double Hockey Sticks

Thrill

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll preface this with an apology should the question already be asked an answered. When at idle, there is a rattle that I have been frustrated at every turn finding. Not evident in the engine compartment, no obvious sheet metal separation (that when pressed has made the sound disappear).
The only clue that I've been able to discover is that when at a stop light, I can press the shifter up to the stop between gears 1 and 3 (no clutch) and the sound goes away without changing RPM or anything else. I am new to the car, and moderately mechanically inclined...this one has me baffled.

Cheers!

Acollin

Donation Time
Could be many things. Can you provide an audio clip?
very common rattle noise is the exhaust pipe running through the cross member— just a long shot guess.
Good hunting

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If its more of a buzz than a rattle, check the cover plate on the underside of the tranny shifter for loose screws.