• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The missing conversion

alpine_64

Donation Time
So.... Been thinking ..
Rootes shoehorned the V8 into the alpine... Tiger..
Later they tried in a sceptre...

I've seen people take the tunnels and Tigerise Hillman Husky vans, Hillman minx station wagons, Hillman minx...

But has anyone seen an audux bodied Sunbeam Rapier get the tiger treatment?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I want to say yes - I've seen one on line. I tried googling Sunbeam Rapier V8, selected images and it appears there is a green one - couldn't go any farther because I am at work and the IT police have things locked down.

TR

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
The green car appears to have a 4 cam toyota v8 in it. The site appears to be unsecure so I didn't go there.
Considered the v8 option for my series 1 Rapier but with all the steering complaints and rare parts seemed like to big of a project. Went with a 3.4 gm v6 instead. Very happy with the result.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Approx. 30 years ago, the now-departed Ed Leslie of Albany, Oregon dropped a 289 with auto tranny into one of his two, very rare Series I Rapiers. At a Sunbeam club event at the Woodburn, Oregon drag strip, he ran it in the 1/4 mile. Don't remember what his time was. It was in pretty rough condition. It was a stock white over yellow.

Ed's other Series I was in concours condition, but when he died he was in the process of converting it to fit a BW 35 to deal with a leg issue. I don't know what became of either.

I hadn't read of Rootes/Chrysler fitting a V8 to a Sceptre. They did try with a 318 into a few SuperSnipes, tho.

Last edited: