• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Test Site Explosion

skywords

Donation Time
My heart goes out to the people hurt at Mohave today. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Scherer my customer that flys chase for the Spaceship One program and asked him to tell Mr. Rutan how sadden we are for his loss.

I hope for a speedy recovery for the four survivers.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rick,
What the heck happened?
I was at Oshkosh all day Friday. There was a crash while I was there of one P51 landing on another P51. There was one fatality from that crash. Also, I just heard of one stunt plane crashed at the Dayton Int'l Airshow (here in Dayton) today and he died. Wow, what the heck is going on?
I'll post some pictures of Oshkosh in a few days
Jan

Nickodell

Donation Time
Also, a Swiss guy trying to beat the record for distance to Oshkosh bought the farm on the way. Not a good year. The P-51 crashes were inexcusable.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Looks like the Dayton crash was due to the same old, deadly and frankly unecessary cause - aerobatics at too low an altitude. I saw a beautiful late-model Spitfire crash in exactly the same way at an air show in England some years ago, trying to zoom back to level flight with maybe 20 feet too little space under it. Apart from the tragic loss of life, there go two more irreplaceable P-51s at Oshkosh.

Remember the old adage: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not many old bold pilots. I'm a complete wimp in regard to flying. If I have any doubts as to the weather, mechanical condition of the plane, fuel on board, etc. I'll forget it for that day. Maybe one other reason for reaching my 70th birthday last April.

The other adage is also apt: It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here. Keep tempting Sir Isaac Newton, and one day he'll win.

skywords

Donation Time
It seems we go for years with no accidents and then all hell breaks loose. The Mohave explosion I hope does'nt shut down their efforts.

Northwest Airlines has cancelled hundreds of flights due to pilots not showing up? Then if you read further the truth is they are out of legal time 90 hours a mo. Wait a minute last time I checked the street corners had pilots with signs saying I'll fly for food.

Now we have NASA telling us the Shuttle crews are drunk? I'm with you JAN

"What is going on?