• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sway bars - rear

JConstable

Donation Time
All,
The series V is slowly advancing and perhaps it will be together before my children decide I'm too old to drive. The car when purchased had a 3/4" front sway bar and a 5/8" rear sway bar. The front is back in place, but I failed to get any pictures of how the rear attaches - my bad. If anyone could post a picture or two or a verbal description that a dolt such as myself could follow so I could get it back on I would be very appreciative. Thanks John

65beam

Donation Time
sway bar

i would leave the rear bar off. it causes a few handling problems on a stock car. alpines and tigers did not have a rear sway bar.

JConstable

Donation Time
65beam, That would absolutely make my life easier and if the car handles better then there is no downside. Is this the common sentiment regarding rear sway bars? However, for my own peace of mind I'd still like to know how it fits on. John

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The Alpine doesn't need a rear anti sway bar, as it handles very well without it. If you aren't a very experienced driver, you can get into a severe over steer condition. The Alpine is pretty close coupled and a rear bar will tighten up the suspension and cause the car to over steer, causing the rear to come around on you. Some cars can use a rear anti sway bar, but the Alpine isn't one of them. I suggest not putting it on at all.

Jose

65beam, That would absolutely make my life easier and if the car handles better then there is no downside. Is this the common sentiment regarding rear sway bars? However, for my own peace of mind I'd still like to know how it fits on. John

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rear Sway Bar

I have the Adco Rear sway bar on my Tiger and on one of my Alpines....email me and I can snap some pictures and send to you if that is what you have.....Mike Schreiner

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, It's not clear if you understand this already, especially since you posted this in the Factory Original section, but a rear sway bar that was on your vehicle is NOT factory original.

Tom

JConstable

Donation Time
Tom H, You hit the nail on the head. I thought the rear sway bar I had on the car at purchase was original - apparently not. Looking at how its attached at its ends there appears to have been some drilling and the insertion of a U-bolt in the frame somehow. I can see how the frame might have been drilled but since the gas tanks are installed I can't see how the U-bolts were inserted. Please keep the information coming as the more I learn the less I know. John

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I will PM my phone #
I have one on my Ser II, and love it. I am not sure about the Ser V, but I don't think the front was 3/4. I sounds like the last owner installed larger sway-bars. That is what I did, and I will not go back. Sway-bars have been talked about here before, some like them some don't. That said, I have had mine on for 27 years with no problems, and it is a daily driver.