• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine on Top Gear in the UK

vanhool1

Donation Time
Earlier this year, having just completed the restoration of my Series 2 Alpine, we were requested by the Top Gear producers to attend a production for the new series. It was filmed in the old TVR factory in Blackpool and included a number of classic British Sports cars. The purpose was a feature of the demise of our industry along with the usual challenges given to the presenters.
I am not sure which programme it will be on but the series starts Sunday 27th June @ 2000. Also at the filming was a nice MK2 Tiger. My car was reg 229 XUX now in the hands of a new owner as with all our cars once completed we pass on for someone else to enjoy. Think about 8 Alpine's and 2 Tigers fully restored to date with 2 Tiger's now work in progress and 4 Alpine's. Any one interested in our restorations over the years or general please feel free to e-mail. Richard

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hello Richard:

Thanks for the note, Top Gear is a great show. I will be sure to check it out.

Andrew

Callasports

Donation Time
Top Gear - for the win! Please post some pics of the Alpine that was featured - and whatever you have time to tell about the restoration.

socorob

Donation Time
great show, i was hoping one day they would have some sunbeams on. We cant get the full version in the states unless we download it from the finalgear website or torrents. The ones that come on bbc america here are 1-2 years behind and they cut 20 minutes or so out of each episode to add in the commercials yall dont have there. So our luck the sunbeams will be in the part that gets cut. Im not condoning downloading torrents, but....

alpine_64

Donation Time
They dont actually feature the sunbeams, they show them in the ex-TVR factory with a series of other british cars that have passed away, AC, TVR, austin healey etc..

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

photos by tony tomaselli

vanhool1

Donation Time
Truth is i'm not sure what will be featured. When filming took place everyone was asked to leave the factory but think will be an overview of all vehicles present if nothing else. Any publicity to help the marque and get more people interested in Rootes vehicles can only be a good thing. The picture shows me in the background polishing.

Richard

Callasports

Donation Time
Great looking Alpine! I would imagine that others on here can identify the little orange car behind you, but I can't. What is it?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Great looking Alpine! I would imagine that others on here can identify the little orange car behind you, but I can't. What is it?

Its a Ginetta.. in the 60's and 70's they used hillman imp engines in the G15's and in the G21's the holbay 1725 and rootes OD box

socorob

Donation Time
Awesome. I can't wait to see it. Anyone interested go to www.Justin.tv on Sunday 2 pm central, and search for top gear. Some generous person across the ponds streams it to there about every weekend. Can be a bit jerky if you don't have a decent Internet connection. This weeks episode was great. Tom cruise got on 2 wheels in the siarpc and almost flipped. He set the fastest time. Usually Americans don't drive so fast on the track. I guess the whole curve thing were not especially good at.

socorob

Donation Time
It was kind of a sad bit about the demise of the British car industry. I hope Detroit is taking notes. They had a good shot of the tiger though.

vanhool1

Donation Time
Programme viewed last night and first car to be seen was Alpine stood out really well made me feel quite proud at the effort me and my father had put in to make a really good example of an early Series car. Also good shots of Tiger so hopefully will raise some interest on the marque. It was only short sequence filmed in the factory but was a nice overview of all the cars present.
Can be viewed on http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tbs3z/Top_Gear_Series_15_Episode_6/ filming is right near the end.

Richard

alpine_64

Donation Time
Watched the top gear S15 E06, the alpine got better screen time than the MKII Tiger, a really nice 3/4 sshot to start the factory scene. The tiger mainly got detail shots, wheels, SUNBEAM V8 badge... nice to see the cars on such a show.

64beam

Donation Time
Watched the top gear S15 E06, the alpine got better screen time than the MKII Tiger, a really nice 3/4 sshot to start the factory scene. The tiger mainly got detail shots, wheels, SUNBEAM V8 badge... nice to see the cars on such a show.

Hi Michael,

How did you get to see it?. Didn't you say that episode was going to be on in OZ in six weeks? I can't access the UK site.

Thanks, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

How did you get to see it?. Didn't you say that episode was going to be on in OZ in six weeks? I can't access the UK site.

Thanks, Robin.

It should be on in 5 weeks from tonight in AU if they keep up with weekly episodes.

Watched the full epsiode last night.

vanhool1

Donation Time
Wasn't sure if link would work outside the UK but it was worth a try. I am really pleased with the filming as although brief with the entry shot of my Alpine it couldn't have been any better.

Was not sure what to expect as the filming was all done behind closed doors and we were ushered into a small room. A brief appearance from the presenters with Clarkson having a quick look over the cars then on to the filming. Shortly after filming I received an offer for the car and as our main purpose is to restore the cars back to former glory then pass on for others to enjoy, sadly we parted.

But now on with a MK1 Tiger, MK1A Tiger, 3 Series V Alpines and a Series IV folowing on from 6 Alpines and a MK1A Tiger previously restored by my father over the years. All to help keep the Rootes name alive and well!!

Richard

socorob

Donation Time
If you find a uk proxy server address on the web you can access it or download it from torrent on finalgear website.