• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sun visors

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

I have a question a bout the early series sun visors.

I don't suppose I can restore my sun visors and keep that nice heat welded edge. Can any one recommend a USA resto Co that can?

Also, although I was told they only came in white I recently got a set in brown. Where they available in other colors as well?
View attachment 1979

Cheers

Oliver

John Boggis

Donation Time
Olly,

I really would not put the optional sun visors on your resto.

Your car with It's top down will look 100% better with no visors at all.
Just look at all the library shots of series II cars with the hood down and they never have the visors on the pics. They just ruin the lines of the car.:(

Sun visors on Alpines were only ever supplied in white.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Oliver,

The cream set that you have pictured look to be a different size. Are you sure that they are both for an Alpine? The set that are are my Tiger look closer to the brown set, but the Tiger is not home at the moment so I can't check. I'm also not sure if the repro's are identical if there are any.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rob,

You are right in that they are different sizes, as for being correct, these are the early alpine SI/Ii visors. They cantilever off a central bracket under the mirror.

They are a different shape and system to the S3-V style (well should be S3 to early SIV and then late SIV-V style as they notched them for the larger mirror on the later cars)

Limey

Donation Time
Early series sunvisors where available in brown

Sorry, my original pics where distorted by a wide angle lens.
New pics that are a lot better
View attachment 1991

View attachment 1992

View attachment 1993

The brown ones are period and not remade and are identical in material, manufacture and aging as the white ones.

Both came to me with the correct middle pivot.

So I put it to the jury, M'lud that Early series sun visors where available in brown.

Let me stress that the brown pair are exactly the same, most importantly the unbroken heat sealed edge.

''There are things we don't know we don't know'. Well, now you know:D

Unless Rootes fitted these to another of their marques of course....

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
they have been making vinyl paint for several decades. they probably were painted a long time ago. or maybe they were dyed.

Limey

Donation Time
(deleted lines as they are too embarrassing):eek::D
I posted here because it's a bit of a curve ball for all of us including me who believed they were only available in white. I just thought I would bring it to my fellow enthusiasts attention. Its not very important but a bit different from the accepted wisdom.

Why brown and not black? Now that would make sense maybe.

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
if done with the proper dye or paint ,it's hard to tell that the color was changed. the product i bought from eastwood years ago is actually a dye. i used it on my harrington visors in the 80's and they still look the same. several shops in this area change the interior colors on street rods when guys decide to change the paint color. but keep in mind that the repo visors of today are also heat sealed just like the originals. they could have been made anytime. the original style material for these visors is still available just as the carpet and upholstery material is. i just ordered a tan pebble grain interior kit for one of my cars and the material is a dead on match to my original black as far as texture and looks go. maybe they were made in taiwan. who knows!

Limey

Donation Time
I take your point. I'll do a scratch test. The foam interior has reduced to dust so I feel that they are of the same age or similar to the original white ones.

How should i go about getting these restored?

Ta

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
I take your point. I'll do a scratch test. The foam interior has reduced to dust so I feel that they are of the same age or similar to the original white ones.

How should i go about getting these restored?

Ta

Oliver

Oliver..

To restore them you will have to cut them as its the only way to replace whats inside.. you can go to a plastics shop and they will have a heat sealing machiene.. (they used to seel hand held ones on tv for sealing bags!)

Ian spencer has restored some.. contact him..

What i would do.. split the visors.. see how the rods/fittings work make some new foams maybe add a hard platic board to the exteriors of it to help hold their shape.. then get a correct material.. cut and heat seal them... new improved visors

John Boggis

Donation Time
Olly...Sunbeam specialities do a very good copy for later series Alpines. (See Picture)
It might be worth getting in touch with them as they might be able to refurbish your early series ones.

Limey

Donation Time
Olly...Sunbeam specialities do a very good copy for later series Alpines. (See Picture)
It might be worth getting in touch with them as they might be able to refurbish your early series ones.

I don't think they look too bad and i hate sunglasses so I'll fit and see how they look. Thanks for the SS tip I'll try it.

All the best,

Oliver