• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg 150CD Carbs

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I'm having trouble getting the float bowls off my original carbs. I've rebuilt many a set (and this set quite a few times in 30+ yrs) and have never come across gaskets so hard. I know these are not made of the best of metals and am afraid I'm going to break something getting them apart. I have had issues in the past with dissimilar metals getting the jets out but never with the bowls. Makes me wonder what's in store for me if I ever get that far.

My question is, in the worst case scenario, what is the story on replacing the carbs?

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Strombergs

If your carbs are that old , you may want to change them out to a more modern unit. Unless you want to stick to a more proper type system. Some like to have a proper car, I prefer to have one that runs great and still is not to out of line.

I came out with a 32-36 Weber carb set up, some manifold modification and the linkage for throttle. After that it is like a dream, no starting problems, acceleration is great and not bad milage.

My set up cost me around 450. US and the linkage was abit of fun figuring it out.

I think the link is to www.redline.com . There a lot of people that are running these on the Alpines. In fact I have a 32-36 rebuildable in my box of stuff. And a very old set of 150s. Let me know if you are intrested.
Good luck
Chuck

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you want to stay with the Strombergs they can be rebuilt, if you can not find a listing for Sunbeam you can maybe find kits and floats for a early Triumph GT6 they used the same carbs. With the carbs being 40 plus years old they need to be rebushed, this is the most common problem with the Stroms. I have coverted to the Weber 32/36, lot less problems!:cool: