• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel wont budge

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
trying to get the steering wheel off my SV. Removed all I should have to as shown in the pic. Penetrating fluid applied, but it is holding on firm. I don't really want to attempt a puller as the wheel's hub seems fragile.
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks Bob

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    966.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 29

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Had this issue when I installed the new Steering Wheel Hub. What worked for me was rocking it slightly and carefully coaxingand tugging at different angles. Mine had a sweet spot where I tilted it slightly towards me, it pulled right off smoothly. Be carefully not to bap yourself in the jaw with it, I almost did that lol.

Be really carefully because it has really tiny splines. Let it move where it wants to.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I install the nut all most all the way on but not touching then tap the nut with a brass hammer while lightly pulling back on the steering wheel.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
So, " bin there, done that" to all suggestions so far. Guess I'll just keep trying gently, persuasevly till it figures it's time is up.
Thanks and Cheers
Bob

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
So, " bin there, done that" to all suggestions so far. Guess I'll just keep trying gently, persuasevly till it figures it's time is up.
Thanks and Cheers
Bob
One thing I did do that I didn't mention and I had only tried it due to a suggestion I read in some earlier thread, was that I gave the center a few taps with a rubber mallet. I don't know if that helped me or not, but I did do that, so I'll note it. Sorry.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Suggestions welcome.

Bob,

Is your steering column able to unlock and adjust in and out. If so, you might try unlocking the column and pulling gently and tapping the wheel at the upper end of travel. That would effectively make the wheel into its own slide hammer.

Whatever you try, please make sure that inner lock bolt doesn't come loose and slide down into the column.

Just a thought,

Last edited: