• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering gearbox Welch plug

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
So I bought a used steering gear from SS, they sawed off the column and input shaft so I am trying to take 2 boxes and make one. So original box had no Welch plug hole machined in it and the used one does but plug is gone. Looking to find a plug without buying 5 or 10, nothing local found. About 1 1/16?

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
My first time posting images, hope it works out. I could even just make a disc to plug the hole and stake it in and seal it if I don't find a plug.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
James, If your first PIC is showing a "hole" the Welch hole as you call it is where the inner bearing race is supposed to be secured for the worm gear to "ride".

Just any ole plug is niot going to work. Most likely the steering box is not going to be serviceable unless you re-install a bearing race.

Is the steering box in the 2nd PIC serviceable?

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the reply, the box in the bottom picture has a cracked housing so I bought a used box from sunbeam specialties. It’s in pretty good shape inside and the lower bearing race is in there but the “washer “ as the service manual calls it is gone. No cracks are seen around the hole. I have contacted SS numerous times about getting another box from them or at least a good input shaft since they sawed it off to ship it! No response though. My old one is rough where the balls ride in the worm groove but I was going to reuse it and see how it works out. FE740793-996C-4129-A39C-130BD1ADC685.jpeg4A6CD2DD-1481-405A-B68C-214CAFB1AB48.jpeg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Before you use the old one...... What is the length for the sawed off one ?

I may have a solution.

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok do you mean the length of what is left of the cut one? This has the adjustable column on this car by the way. The cutoff one is in the picture there, the end is barely visible. Probably a little over a foot long. Noticed the shafts are hollow, I suppose if a guy really wanted to be creative you could cut them and pin it together and weld it but this is actually for a friend’s car so not looking for liability issues if it ever failed.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
And YES, the shafts are hollow.

I have made some "pins" that are the same OD as the ID of the hollow shaft. Which can be utilized to lengthen your "short shaft". Just make sure your joint is true before and after welding them together.

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan, I wondered if anyone else had done that. I assume keeping the length the same is pretty critical but what about indexing the worm gear to the original shaft? Can’t remember if there is a master spline at the steering wheel or not or would that even matter? Thanks for the advice.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Overall length is important, not necessarily "critical." Indexing, totally not an issue. The shaft has fine splines, not coarse ones that more than likely would be sensitive to indexing. Keep it straight and close to length and you'll be fine.
Bill

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, good to hear from someone that’s been there done that. Can’t just run to the parts store and get this stuff. This original box from the car was really a mess inside. C80E5B94-F1A1-47FD-AD69-103084E3D71A.jpeg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Indexing, totally not an issue
Indexing is not an issue except for the upper outter column for the alignment of the two (2) piece Cowling. The upper outter column has a little oblong raise the is weldedd on to guide the cowling. Take a careful look and you will see what I am referring too.

Attachments

• SUnbeam Alpine Cowling for upper Steering column 20240414_135221.jpg
    SUnbeam Alpine Cowling for upper Steering column 20240414_135221.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Sunbeam Alpine upper Steering column guide 20240414_135149.jpg
    Sunbeam Alpine upper Steering column guide 20240414_135149.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 5

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
What series is your car? I may have a good input shaft from a late series. It took me three steering boxes to get all the good parts I needed to rebuild one for my series 2, the later series input shaft is not the same so this is leftover. This is a link to my rebuild that may help you. Steering box rebuild

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Series V, 1967 with adjustable column. I am pretty sure I saw your rebuild posted somewhere before, amazing! Looks like a $10,000 gearbox!! And what were you heating the housing up for when hanging outside?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are some pictures of the one I have and a link to more. It looks to be in great shape. Sunbeam steering shaft
IMG_7988-XL.jpg

IMG_7989-XL.jpg

IMG_7979-XL.jpg

IMG_7982-XL.jpg

James7

Silver Level Sponsor
Looks really good, either I weld up my shaft the way DanR advised or just buy yours, that’s less work so you can give me a price, thanks