• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Starter spins!

PstrTed

Gold Level Sponsor
Our 1966 Sunbeam Alpine has a new battery, new solenoid, and a new starter… all replaced this summer.
Twice this past weekend, when I attempted to start the car, the starter spun wildly, sounding like an airplane. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop! Always something! ‍ Where do I look first to fix this?

Ted Smith, northern Michigan

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd start with the ignition switch. It could be "sticking" in the "Start" position after you move the key back to the "Run" position. With the battery disconnected, you can put the key in the various "Run", "Start" positions, etc. and check continuity across the connectors.

1695070442057.png

No key in - no continuity between 1 & 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4.
Key at "Run" position - you should see continuity between 1 & 2, but not 1 & 3.
Key at "Start" position - you should see continuity between 1 & 2 and 1 & 3.

And try going to the "Start" position and then back to the "Run" position and see if you still have continuity between 1 & 3.

Mike

PstrTed

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd start with the ignition switch. It could be "sticking" in the "Start" position after you move the key back to the "Run" position. With the battery disconnected, you can put the key in the various "Run", "Start" positions, etc. and check continuity across the connectors.

View attachment 29891

No key in - no continuity between 1 & 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4.
Key at "Run" position - you should see continuity between 1 & 2, but not 1 & 3.
Key at "Start" position - you should see continuity between 1 & 2 and 1 & 3.

And try going to the "Start" position and then back to the "Run" position and see if you still have continuity between 1 & 3.

Mike
Thanks in advance. I’ll investigate!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think you'd have a bunch more issues ...

Did you disconnect the battery before making those measurements?
Try measuring the actual resistance between the connectors.
Is there a wire even connected to terminal 4, which is the accessory connector? Normally nothing is connected to that terminal.

PstrTed

Gold Level Sponsor
Regarding the continuity check last night; yes, the battery was disconnected at the time.
I don’t have time for further investigation this week due to upcoming camping trip, but I ordered a new ignition switch this morning. Will resume repair in ten days. Thanks.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Before swapping the ignition switch, pull the brown wire connector off terminal 1 and then re-test continuity / resistances between connector #1 and the other connectors in the various key positions.

Mike