• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Spark Plug Recommendation

Chasedan

Donation Time
Hello All
Does anyone know a recommended spark plug for a 1592 Series IV?

The plugs I found in the engine originally were Champion RN6, which does not appear to be available anymore. My Velocepress workshop manual specifies Champion N5 which also is no longer available.

The Champion sparkplug website cross references Champion N5 or N6 to an NGK BR5ES or BR6ES which does not seem right, since I run BR9ES in my two-stroke Yamaha 600 CC snowmobile. The BR5ES and BR6ES plugs should run hotter than the BR9ES.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The equivalent to the Champion N5's are available. They'd be copper cores and listed as N5C's. Autozone and Napa will have them.

The only plug I have had trouble with - which was at Mid-Ohio in 2005 - was the Bosch Platinum. The car ran fine under 4000 rpm but for some reason a high rpm miss developed. It may have been related to the plug wires but oddly I could swap out to an old well used set of Champions and the Alpine would run fine with those plug wires.

During the last race I changed to new wires and new Champions and every thing was fine. Wish I had tried that earlier in the weekend!

Steve

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Take those Bosch Platinums and throw them as far away from you as physically possible. What a crappy-ass plug. Steve, you should have known better.:D
I run NKG BP6ES or B6ES in Tedder's racing Alpine and also in any Alpine (maybe using a B5ES for slow street driving).
The Yamaha's recommendation for BR9ES is correct. It is a cold plug, but think about it.....Its firing twice as fast as your 4-stroke 1600, so it needs to be colder. I use a B8EG in my 2-stroke Yamaha dirt bike.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I wouldn't go as far as calling the Bosch plug crappy... they worked best in the V-6 Alfas of any of the plugs I tried (with the exception being the Golden Lodge plugs, OEM to the Alfa, but those are a pain to find in the US)

But I agree... not so good in the Alpine.