• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Solenoid wiring

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Trying to resolve a charging issue on a Series V where the PO burnt up several charging system wires and replaced all of them in one color - red.

Today's issue is the stock solenoid. I hadn't noticed before that there's an extra terminal vs the wiring diagram. Does the top or bottom terminal go the coil? What's the extra terminal for? It appears the PO tried to use the top terminal to wire in a voltmeter.

Last edited:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The extra terminal on a correct 4 terminal lucas solenoid is for a ballast resistor bypass while starting. It would go to the coil+ terminal on a neg ground system that has a ballast resistor.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Attached is a photo of my series V solenoid.

Also full res available here: http://wp.mhartman.net/wp-content/uploads/20150220-001-starter-solenoid-wiring-annotated.jpg

1. White / green wire that goes to the ignition coil + connector. Provides full battery voltage to the coil to help starting during cold weather. Rootes manual indicates this was equipped on cars going to cold climates - e.g. US & Canada. This wire is not shown on the WSM schematic.
2. White / red wire that goes to the ignition switch.
3. Large brown wire that goes to the alternator B+ connection.
4. Two brown wires that are connected into a single spade connection on the starter solenoid. One wire goes to the fuse box terminal 1. The other wire goes to the alternator relay.

Mike

Attachments

• 20150220-001 starter solenoid wiring annotated.jpg
    20150220-001 starter solenoid wiring annotated.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 119

Spectre64GT

Gold Level Sponsor
Doing the same

I have original solenoid. Easy to see where the starter wire and battery wire connect.
I have a wire from battery term to a maxifuse and then to fuse box. I have a terminal on top and bottom of the terminal with the battery wire. I have another terminal on top that is wider than the others. Not sure what it's for. I'm guessing for wire from ignition switch.
Richard

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
This link shows the Lucas solenoid on a Triumph but the connections should be the same as yours.
Large red from battery, Large black to starter motor, Brown output to ammeter,
small white/red from ignition switch/start button.
To test solenoid, with a fly lead from the white wire terminal, touch the other end of the fly lead to the battery input terminal. The solenoid should operate the starter. BEWARE THAT ALL FINGERS ETC ARE CLEAR OF THE FAN , PULLEYS ETC.
https://64spitfire.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/alternator-wiring-1.jpg

This link goes to the Sunbeam Manual, where you can find the full wiring diagram
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=89

Hope that this helps. Peter.

PstrTed

Gold Level Sponsor
Attached is a photo of my series V solenoid.

Also full res available here: http://wp.mhartman.net/wp-content/uploads/20150220-001-starter-solenoid-wiring-annotated.jpg

1. White / green wire that goes to the ignition coil + connector. Provides full battery voltage to the coil to help starting during cold weather. Rootes manual indicates this was equipped on cars going to cold climates - e.g. US & Canada. This wire is not shown on the WSM schematic.
2. White / red wire that goes to the ignition switch.
3. Large brown wire that goes to the alternator B+ connection.
4. Two brown wires that are connected into a single spade connection on the starter solenoid. One wire goes to the fuse box terminal 1. The other wire goes to the alternator relay.

Mike
PROBLEM SOLVED - Thanks mhartman.net,
The anchor nut at the battery cable connection post on new starter was not tight…consequently I didn’t adequately tighten the outer nut. Whew! Thanks!