• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Softening a brittle tool roll

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have an original tool roll that has hardened and become brittle. Soaking in warm water softens it but it stiffens up within minutes of removal.

I've read where mineral oil can help restore pliability to old vinyl. Any suggestions?

Thx, Mark

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mineral oil is probably the least likely to do any harm. FWIW, baby oil is just a good grade of mineral spirits with added fragrance.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Old Honda guys suggest oil of Wintergreen on rubber . I've also used silicone spray but it tends to disagree with the stitching in tonneau covers etc. A soak in some nice warm dish soapy water has been helpful as well

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Barry and Warren for your input. I'll try the mineral oil first but will avoid the scented baby oil.