• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Single 2 Barrel down draft Manifold options

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I picked up a new China Repo Weber 38/38 carb

and started to look at manifolds.

I have 2 different OEM manifolds.

and the newer Alpine Innovations part is looking good.

But what are the performance differences, really?

Here are the two OEM manifolds:

IMG_20230808_125534059.jpg

The straight runner manifold has casting # 1980958

The W shaped manifold has casting # 1981124

And the Alpine Innovations:

Alpine-Inlet-Manifold-1st-Casting-006-1024x768.jpg

I need to mod the OEM manifolds for the Bigger 38/38 carb,

But, do I cut out the web between the holes? Hmmmmm.

How many have "Been there and Done that" ( had their way with the manifold, good or bad results ) ??

DW

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pierce Manifolds sells this one and I think

it is the same one Sunbeam Specialties sells.

DW

AlpineIntake04.jpg

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wild and crazy thought. Since you aren't using a progressive carb, why don't you fab your own true two plane manifold? #1 and#4 to one throat(inner) and #2 and #3 to the other(outer). Small balance passage between two sides of plenum.

If not, then I vote for the AI unit.

Just one more complication,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan.

The factory W manifold I would suggest is better than the pierce one. The throats for the runners intersect at the plenum so the pickup should be more even than the seperate. The W was developed for the later rootes cars...sceptrer etc... I had one once.

The Alpine innovation one is based of the design of 2 period manifolds one from Italy (Magnotessi sp?) And one from new Zealand that used this style arc design. The theory being to ensure the outer cylinder got equal fuel distribution.. the guys in the UK claim many things about its design and evolution.

There was a good article years ago by Carl Christiansen about the various manifolds and their performance.. I had a copy but it's at home... And a bit far away for now.

As for the bridge .. given you're going for a synchronous carb and large throat... I'd bore the intake to a single throat especially on the W manifold