• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Side Cover Leak

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Forum Members:

We are experiencing a significant oil leak from the side cover engine side cover of our SIV.

We have replaced the side cover gasket more than once but never seem to be able to completely stop the leaking.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions/recommendations for this issue?

Thanks,
Mike Pennell

Jim E

Donation Time
I do not use a gasket just the black sealer in a tube and make sure the surfaces are oil free.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
This happens on all negative ground cars.

... just kidding!

You might check that your PCV valve is working. If pressure
builds up even a little, oil will seek daylight like crazy.
(Or does a SIV have 'direct vent' crankcase?)
I've also read, anecdotally, that a change to synthetic oil
will reveal leaks you never knew about before.
Any chance you made that change?

Ken

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Sometimes a leaking valve cover gasket, or weeping sparkplug tubes, even a the bolt holes at the top of the heads can leak oil down below making you think its the side cover, when perhaps its not.

I recently bought a UV leak finder kit to diagnose such problems.
Worth its weight in gold it is.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I had the same problem with my 1592. I always had oil around the side cover and in the plug holes, never could find the leak until I had to pull the mechnical fuel pump, that was ok, but then I removed the spacer under the pump and then I found the black sealer between the spacer and the engine block had a gap in it, where the previous mechanic did not take the time to check his gasket, and that's where my leak was. My engine and under carriage always had a layer of oil. At least I never had to worry about rust. :rolleyes:
Cheers. Bob

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
We did use some fluorescent dye to look for leaks. We found the one around the lower, inboard corner of the side cover and around the fuel pump. We tightened the side cover and reduced the leak to a tolerable level. It looks like we'll have to order a new gasket set for the fuel pump (it is a mechanical pump) and install that.

Those two appear to be the only culprits at this time.

How about that anti-leak stuff you see sold in an auto parts store? the idea being you pour it in the crank case and it works to seal the leaks. Is there any value in that stuff?

On the other hand, my son's washing the car up and is taking it out tonight, for the first time since February. In our case, I supply the resources (car, money, parts, etc.) and he does most of the work. Therefore, when he wants to use it I don't say no.

Mike Pennell

RootesRacer

Donation Time
How about that anti-leak stuff you see sold in an auto parts store? the idea being you pour it in the crank case and it works to seal the leaks. Is there any value in that stuff?
Mike Pennell

For an alpine engine, the anti-leak stuff will NOT help.

The anti-leak stuff softens rubber seals like front and rear main seals, and for that it works pretty good.

The alpine has no rubber seals whatsoever, so it wont do anything but set your wallet back.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I found that my side cover plate was somewhat distorted around the bolt holes, presumably from overtightening, so that the gasket was not sealing properly between the bolts. Mine is very soft metal and distorts easily.
I gently tapped it back into shape with a small hammer (after removing it!!!), using a metal rule edge as a guide to ensure straight lines, finished off with a gentle file (very fine) to smooth off any burrs. Seems to have cured it.
cheers
Dave

gordonra

Donation Time
Mine leaked like a seive, had been slotted on the top side, and goobered up with silicone sealant, evidently for some previous install where the head was shaved.

Rather than try to find another one, I chose to silver solder washers over the holes on the outside surface, and fill the slots on the inside with silver solder. This not only left the surface flat (after final prep), but also re-enforced the bolt holes.. Using the low temp of silver solder kept the heat down and minimized warping.

So far no leaks...

Rich

I found that my side cover plate was somewhat distorted around the bolt holes, presumably from overtightening, so that the gasket was not sealing properly between the bolts. Mine is very soft metal and distorts easily.
I gently tapped it back into shape with a small hammer (after removing it!!!), using a metal rule edge as a guide to ensure straight lines, finished off with a gentle file (very fine) to smooth off any burrs. Seems to have cured it.
cheers
Dave