• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Seat Diaphragm Hooks

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Anyone know why the seat diaphragm hooks supplied by Martha Christiansen are about 3/8" longer than my originals? I believe they are the same diaphragms and hooks supplied by Rick & Curt, but I had Martha doing custom seat covers so I had her send them with.
Hook on left is original, hook on right is replacement received. The new diaphragms appear a little smaller than my originals, but I believe this is due to my originals having stretched out over the years.
I have left a message on Martha's phone to call me, but I am in the middle of working on my seats and am looking for a quick answer if anyone on this forum has seen this issue. I am probably going to clean up my old hooks and use them as I do not want to have a saggy seat bottom. The shorter hooks should stretch out the new diaphragm tighter, so less sag and more support?? Comments appreciated........
Joey

Update: I tried to use the original shorter hooks to no avail. You would need to be superman to stretch the new diaphragm far enough to get the original shorter hooks in place. I ended up using the longer hooks supplied with the new diaphragms. Too bad I can't delete this post as it is now an embarrassment! But maybe it will enlighten others...............
Joey

Update #2 7/19/2023:
Thanks Jan
Note: Martha replied and suggested I use the longer ones as diaphragms are repos and not always to specs!
But I elected to use your idea and using the extra leverage was able to install the original shorter hooks.

Attachments

• Seat Diaphragm Hooks.jpg
    Seat Diaphragm Hooks.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joey,

This topic is providing valuable information. I need to re-do one of my series V seats and I bet after disassembly I would have wondered why the new hooks are longer than the original hooks.

Thanks,
Mike

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Don't use anything but the stock factory hooks (the shorter ones) and yes, the pull on the last hooks is fierce. I made a lever arm thing to help do the pulling.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The factory hooks need to pulled with big adjustable pliers into place , specifically the last ones . It's possible, but still requires strong pulls...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The factory hooks need to pulled with big adjustable pliers
Highly unlikely with an arm pull because you have only a few seconds of arm strength. I made up a lever arm from steel tubing and I had over 12" of lever advantage and that could pull the hook long enough to guide it into the seat metal hole where it belongs.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
By the way, there is ONLY one contact cement to use in these seats....and ANYWHERE else. You MUST USE the yellow contact cement made by 3M, Neoprene Contact Adhesive #10....Use anything else and it will all loosen & come back up..
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Another problem is with Martha's seat back patterns. At the top of the seat back, where the cording moves across the very top back, it needs to look straight across. Martha's pattern allows it to swing out of straight line (pulled to far to the rear), at the top rear edge. I unstitched the top seam and remove more than 1/2" material and resewn it. As you can see it's straight...and that's the way it was from the factory.
Janjans_tiger_seats.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Another problem is with Martha's seat back patterns. At the top of the seat back, where the cording moves across the very top back, it needs to look straight across. Martha's pattern allows it to swing out of straight line (pulled to far to the rear), at the top rear edge. I unstitched the top seam and remove more than 1/2" material and resewn it. As you can see it's straight...and that's the way it was from the factory.
JanView attachment 29362
Them be nice MKII seats Jan.....:cool: