• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II Replacement Fuel Tank

toolsnob

Donation Time
Hi,
We have a nice series 2 that needs a new gas tank. Current tank looks to have been patched multiple times and inside is rusted. One of the patches has started to leak and I would like to see what my options are. The only tanks I can find online are later model. More interested if anyone has found a viable aftermarket tank. Thank you for any help.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
They're out there, but pretty thin on the ground. Posting here is probably your best bet!

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I still have my original tank L have had the car 40 + years and resealed twice. It was thin on the bottom side w/ many pinholes. Am now about 15 years past the second reseal and it is still holding. May want to give it a try if w/ a system such as POR 15; you are likely to have to reseal anything you get on the forum, unless it has already been done

thomo

Donation Time
The Commer van users the same tank and if you go onto the Commer Van Fan forum in England you will find a guy that makers an alloy replacement tank The Commer uses the same shape tank but has a different fuel inlet placement

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just added another Sunbeam Alpine to my collection. It is Allan Ballards 1960 Series I that he had installed a FORD 2.8 V6 mated to a T5.

I have no idea as to what condition the fuel system is in. Allan was running it until he over heated the engine.

I will find out soon enough when the weather gets a bit better here.

Josh

Silver Level Sponsor
We had the tank professionally repaired and relined. We haven't filled it yet, but it was guaranteed for 5 years by a reputable company. we shall see when we finish the complete rebuild/restoration project.

Doggitz

Gold Level Sponsor
I have an SII that someone buggered by removing the fuel tank and inserting what looks like a Summit racing fuel cell.

I saw a post in this forum that the Commer van uses the same fuel tank, and that there is someone out there that builds them. Perhaps I missed it, but I could not find the fabricator on their forum. Has anyone bought one of these and used it? If so, I would very much appreciate any info on how to locate one.

Also - if anyone has an S1/SII fuel tank, I would like to speak with you about buying it

Thanks

Fred

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fred the commer guy was in the UK, and it was the first time I'd heard about an accurate repro and I've been on the international forums since the late 90s.

The original tanks tend to rust.. how bad is the race cell? Is it in a tray that hangs down through the boot floor or is it mounted taking where the spare wheel should be.. have a photo?

If the modern tank is mounted per factory.. why replace it, paint black and wont be noticeable.

On my car we made a stainless steel drop tank that mounts and hangs per the original, wont rust again.