• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II questions

PNG

Donation Time
New to the site, Sunbeam's in general, and the Alpine II in specific, I pose two questions. My recently purchased '62 series II has somewhat dead headlights and I would like to replace things easier/cheaper (?) first and need to know if there are recommendations for replacement lights. While not an absolute purist, I do like the look of the car very much so keeping that look is a priority, but so is safety-as much as possible. Likely, the wiring and most of the electrical upstream will need replacement as well.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
somewhat dead?

Lights either work or they dont, and just becuase they dont work, doesnt always mean they are bad.

Try out both the high beams and low beams, if none of them work, its probably the lack of a ground that prevents function. Each light needs its own ground, which is in the engine compartment towards the front of the fenderwells.

The headlights are pretty easy to get, likely at any autoparts store.

There are nice "lucas" tripod aftermarkets available from british specialty places or online.

65beam

Donation Time
questions

the ground wire is a bullet connector that slides into a clip on the inner fender well. i use an eye terminal and bolt it to the body. as far as replacement lights, i use halogens in place of the sealed beams. more than enough light. if you still have the generator, you have some restrictions on what lights you can add .

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Wiring and Lights

There are a few thoughts I had regarding your lights:

- If they are simply dim then check the ground as 65beam mentioned. Typically the problem is as simply as cleaning the bullet connector and fender clip with scotch-brite.

- If you need new headlights it is easy enough to go buy GE sealed-beam headlights at at Wal-mart. (though check your existing lights to see if they are marked Lucas... if they still work there are people who really like the originality and I am sure you could find somebody to take them)

- Before removing wiring and doing radical changes simply look over the existing harness to see if there is damage (melted insulation, missing connectors, etc). If there are melted wires you will probably want to consider harness replacement... but.. if it is just a few bullet connectors and insulation covers these are available from Moss motors. It really doesn't take that much time to solder on a few new bullets or spade connections - but get them from Moss and use the original style connectors and insulation covers. (don't buy them at the hardware store)

I am not so much a fan of aftermarket non-stock harnesses having dealt with one in a Healey I bought... I personally think there is real value in having a harness I can look up on the Sunbeam shop manual, too

Steve