• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I Gas Tank

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Earlier this week I was taking an inventory of all my parts and pieces for my current Series I project. I picked up the Gas Tank from the shelf where it has been stored for the past 3 years. On the bottom there is at least one 2" rusted hole.

Questions.
Anyone have an early series tank for sale.
Can that big of hole be patched and be trustworth?

Rob
61Alpine

Pumpkin

Donation Time
rusty tank

Rob, In my old welding days some one would come to me and ask ,,, can you fix this? And during my crazy days I would fix the darn thing. And the gas tank would be welded. Then they griped that it leaked in another spot.. Not my problem..
Some days there are fixes, IF you can find some dummy to patch it up,, gas weld and check it, then go about it like it only had a small pin hole and seal it with one of the most popular products there are for this type of thing.

OTHER WISE MASH it down and send it to the scraper.
My 2.865p
Chuck

A

AlpineIan

Rob,

I have one that has been dipped and treated... I still need to paint it in epoxy primer and finish before I can sell it. Won't really be able to finish it until spring... If you aren't in a hurry I may be able to provide you with this one.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The size of the hole has nothing to do with "fixability". General tank integrity is the most important (gotta have something to weld to). Pinholes should not be a problem, the repaired tank should be sealed. Even if it wasn't repaired it should be sealed.

Bill

napa 1

Donation Time
I also appear to be in need of a gas tank. The gas coming out of mine is quite rusty looking in the filter - Although car has sat with small amount of fuel for 1 year. Anyone else have a good series one tank available? thanks.

A

ALPINEMIKE

If is was me I would take the tank out and give it to a radiator shop, the would clean out and they put something inside that makes better than new.