• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Scaled the V6 car

Jim E

Donation Time
So how much does a V6 Alpine tip the scales at and what is the balance front to back and side to side. Not many folks have the set up to scale a car but I happen to have a buddy who races dirt track and owns a set of scales. So yestarday I took my S3 GT V6 and stuck it on the scales.

For some base line information my car is a right hand drive, has no bumpers, no hard top and at the time we scaled the car it had about 3 gallons of gas in it.

A couple of things surprised me at first about the numbers then when I thought about it it made sense, or at least I think it does...

The total weigh came in at 2107 pounds which is a good bit lighter than I thought the car would be, having always used 2400 pounds as a base line for an alpine I was sure it would have gone at least that much. I supose some of this is due to the no bumpers but does not seem like it would be enough there for the car to be that light, then the gas tank was a bit low so perhaps between the two it would have come closer to 2400 pounds. Anyway somewhere there is about 300 pounds missing or I am off on what a stock engined Alpine weighs in at.

Here are the read outs from each corner.

Left front 570 pounds 27% / Right front 602 pounds 28.5%

Left rear 466 pounds 22.1%/ Right rear 470 pounds 22.3%

The first thing that jumped out at me from these numbers is the right front being heavy but then the car is RHD and the battery is on the right side so that sort of make sense.

Next the car is heavier in the front than I would have thought but a tank of gas would equal this out a bit. I also did not have a spare or jack in the car.

So as it scaled the car is 55.5% front and 44.4% rear.

Side to side 49.1% left side and 50.8% right side.

Some other things to think about to go with the numbers is the car has a set of bolt on LAT traction bars and a set of Western minilites with 205-60-13 Sumitomos.

The weigh is what really surprises me, now I want to scale a stock engine Alpine for comparison.

Oh and the car was weighed with no driver.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Those are some interesting numbers Jim! Your car being a S3 GT has no soft top or frame for the top and is also missing the metal trim panels-that would add to the weight figures too. The rollbar weight probably offsets that though. It would be nice to weigh one of each series in similar config. to see the numbers. Wonder what a stock S2 Alpine weighs compared to a Harrington? Are those portable scales? Can you borrow them? Might be fun to play with at our SOS this Sept. in South Carolina! Eric

Jim E

Donation Time
I do not have the roll bar in the car at this time.

The scales are portable and we might be able to use them, they do require electric.

Would be interesting to see the differernces between the cars.

SDuncan

Donation Time
It would be interesting weigh the car with you in it, Jim, to see how that affects things as far as a 50/50 distribution goes. I understand why the battery is on the RH side for a LHD car, but does a factory RHD car still have the battery on the RH side, or was it switched over?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My '64 Series VI, with a half tamk of gas weighed 2,400. I can see why your Alpine is a rocket. I am surprised it is so light.

Jose:)

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
A couple summers ago I stopped at the lock waste transfer station and stopped on the scale. Without me in and no hardtop but I do have the soft. A full tank of gas and the V6 engine I was 2400 lbs.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

Another interesting point is that the Series 3 GT is the heaviest of all the series Alpine's (especially the GT's) going by the wsm. What have you been doing with your car Jim? The right hand drive cars do have the battery on the right as well (too much work for them to change it on left hand drive cars).

Regards, Robin.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I weighed my Series V before and after conversion at the same certified scale. Was 2,200 before and 2,420 after. Both readings without driver, but equipped for road with full tank of gas and tool box in trunk (but no spare). The thing that really suprised me was that it had a perfect 50/50 split front/rear before conversion.