• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ralph Kramden

skywords

Donation Time
I did something funny the otherday. I took a job driving a school bus. I am still keeping my business going because I can be there between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm. I preflight the bus at 5:30 am and drive till 9 then drive from 2 till when ever.

Business is starting to slow at the shop and with all the banking and market problems coupled with inflation that they tell me is under control I figured I'd better get on the government dole for a back up and supliment income. Besides I like driving my bus and I like kids. Maybe a way to give back to the community a little besides my usuall charity I give to the food bank and school.

Any other school bus drivers out there that might have a pointer or two? I start my training this next week.

For you younger bucks Ralph Kramden was a bus driver in the series The Hooneymooners played by the late great Jackie Gleason. "How Sweet it is"

images.jpg

Fastback

Donation Time
Driving a school bus is a blast; one of the more memorable experiences of my life. I drove 66-, 72- and 84-passenger buses (conventional and transit-style) part-time for a school district outside of Philadelphia for about 7 years; college years and part-time supplimental income. Learned in an International Loadstar 1800 66-passenger with "Armstrong" steering and non-synchro transmission.

Pointers? Day one: introduce yourself to the kids and get one of the kids from the last stop to sit up front with you to help you with the route, at least for a couple of days. LET THEM KNOW WHAT THE GROUND RULES ARE, or you'll have a mobile riot every day. Follow your route as specified by the school district or driving company; any deviation leaves you liable for all kinds of litigation, in case of an accident. (Don't ask.) And always, always, keep your cool.

And if you get the chance, take a bus into a 12 foot snowbank. In front of the school. Or stick it in a ditch, after glancing off a telephone pole while negotiating a 90-degree turn on glare ice. Or use someone's driveway for a three-point turn, while avoiding an intersection that's under 3 feet of flood water. All this, with a load of kids...strike terror in their little hearts. They'll survive, and so will you. You can always change your diaper later...

And Ralph drove a transit bus in "The Big Apple", not a school bus. He had to put up with snotty commuters on their way to work, not little tykes dreaming of becoming astronauts or dancers or doctors.

Chance of a lifetime -- bon chance, mon ami!

Wayne (85,000 miles in school buses)

skywords

Donation Time
Thanks Wayne for the words of encouragement. I need them. Fortunately the buses are all automatics, the only bus I deal with that has a four speed manual is my old Greyhound. I can't imagine driving a bus on ice :eek:

I wish the little nippers were dreaming of becoming astronauts and doctors. More like the next Snoop diggy dog rapper. I think the hardest part is handling the kids. I will heed your advise.

Thanks

howard

Donation Time
I've not had the opportunity to drive a school bus (they won't allow me to deviate my work schedule that dramatically), but I did work at a bus plant assembling and drawing them back in the late 70's and early 80's. Hard, hot work... but it was fun. The place eventually moved to another state... long after I moved on. Those were the days. (Not sure WHAT KIND of days, but they were the days, nonetheless.)

skywords

Donation Time
I've not had the opportunity to drive a school bus (they won't allow me to deviate my work schedule that dramatically), but I did work at a bus plant assembling and drawing them back in the late 70's and early 80's. Hard, hot work... but it was fun. The place eventually moved to another state... long after I moved on. Those were the days. (Not sure WHAT KIND of days, but they were the days, nonetheless.)

Hello Von
Blue Bird or Thomas? I bet that was a noisy place to work.