• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rallyman switch for fog/driver lamps

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Andrew,

I saw that auction as well, and it looks like it will attract some serious bidding being NOS. It would a great addition for that classic rally car.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I saw that switch when it got listed, i have notived that some alpine people are bidding on it.. all i have to say is that not sure where you would put it and they are damn ugly. I would just be wiring up the lights to the fog switch blank on the dash with a normal switch.. not sure how often people are using 1 not the other. Then again.. you could easily get one of the turning knob switches that mounts into the normal switch holes.. they look like the push/pull knobs but rotate.. easy 3 position switch and a lot nicer looking.. just my .02c

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
One problem with using both lights when heavy fog is present is that the spot will fight with the fog light, causing sight issues. The mountains north of here are often so foggy that it's necessary to slow down to a few mph's, cautiously eeking forward while trying to avoid driving off the road and over the side.....whoooeeeee that's scary.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Then again.. you could easily get one of the turning knob switches that mounts into the normal switch holes.. they look like the push/pull knobs but rotate.. easy 3 position switch and a lot nicer looking.. just my .02c

I have always liked the idea of a Rallyman-type switch (off, fog, driving, both) but don't like the looks of it either. I'm no where near this point on my V6, but have thought about mounting my own switch with a matching knob in the choke knob hole. I have switch like the one Michael describes, but it is only two position. I've been looking for a suitable switch, but haven't found one yet. What switch were you thinking of Michael? Or, does anyone know of something that would work?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 3 position rotary Lucas switch here somewhere (Off On On I think.) Not sure of its dimensions; if I can find it I'll post a pic next to a ruler.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The Rallyman switch is 4 position. You could just use a stock Lucas light switch if you only want off-on-on.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Right. The 4-way is the interesting aspect.

If one uses both lights at the same time and "correct" is not an issue, 3-way would do fine. The Lucas switch (currently gone missing) looks much the same as the Rallyman switch, but doesn't have the mounting plate. It "maybe might" fit in a current dash hole.

Looking through my picture folder, I found another Rallyman example that has a black mounting plate. No clue if the black was added or if it came that way.

I attached a pic of a push/pull switch that is on the parts car lower dash roll. Its mounting plate is screwed directly to the roll, to the left of the driver (LHD car).

Andrew, if you spot this thread, and if you have a pic of the other period correct switch, maybe you could post it?

Allan

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Fog/Driver Lamp switch

Right. The 4-way is the interesting aspect.

If one uses both lights at the same time and "correct" is not an issue, 3-way would do fine. The Lucas switch (currently gone missing) looks much the same as the Rallyman switch, but doesn't have the mounting plate. It "maybe might" fit in a current dash hole.

Looking through my picture folder, I found another Rallyman example that has a black mounting plate. No clue if the black was added or if it came that way.

I attached a pic of a push/pull switch that is on the parts car lower dash roll. Its mounting plate is screwed directly to the roll, to the left of the driver (LHD car).

Andrew, if you spot this thread, and if you have a pic of the other period correct switch, maybe you could post it?

Allan

Hi Allan:

This is the Rootes switch and panel that I have in my S3
2124719829.jpg

2126136670.jpg

Here it is installed:
S3-ALSWITCH-PANEL.jpg

The panel is nice as it is a good match to the Radio panel and surround.

Regards,
Andrew

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew thanks, wow that's nice! I don't think the later series dashboards have a spot for a fog light switch, at least the S V dashboard from the parts car dosen't have one, so that leaves the option of removing a switch, or adding a panel or switch with a solo mounting plate. The panel is super nice!

Allan

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Hi All
Any of you guys checked out this sellers previous sales, ie November 10 2007 , seems he's improved on his marketing skills.
Pete

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't think the later series dashboards have a spot for a fog light switch, at least the S V dashboard from the parts car dosen't have one, so that leaves the option of removing a switch, or adding a panel or switch with a solo mounting plate.
That panel is very nice and a very desirable period correct accessory. However, if you aren't concerned with being 100% correct, it is a simple manner to rewire the gauge lights to come on with the headlights, which allows that switch (or its space) to be used for fog lights.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Rallyman Switch

When I attended the Alpine Annual in Bath, 2006, I saw 2 early Alpines with the Wipac Rallyman switches. I got my NOS switch there. One was mounted where the Fog switch would normally be, the other was under the dash with the supplied bracket. The bracket has a black strip under the knob that indicates OFF, SPOT, FOG, AND PAIR. I know I remember seeing a section of a web site that gave all of the options that were available for the Alpine. I really think it was on this site, but I can't find it now. It showed a drawing of an unknown switch that had never been seen over here, but stated that the Wipac WAS used by dealers here. The part number on the package mine came in is S4204V. As always it is advisable to use relays to protect the contacts of the switch. I have not decided how to mount mine. If any one knows where I can find the info about the options let mk know.
Lee