• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pushrod mix 'n' match

JConstable

Donation Time
All,
In pulling the head on an SV I found that I had 7 of one type of pushrod and one of another. My questions are

Q1: Which of the pushrods is the original? the slender one piece (upper in image 1) or the thicker three piece (the lower in image 1)?

Q2: All of the rods are unbent and the heads appear on ok shape. Therefore for uniformity I would like to replace the odd one piece pushrod with a three piece (assuming this is the original design). Sunbeam Specialties (SS) does not have this particular piece, so I'd like to query the forum for availability in someone's misc. parts box.

As always if there are cautions that need to be observed in doing this type of thing please let me know. Or if the SS pushrods are so much better than the originals that I should really switch that is useful information too.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• Pushrods 1a.JPG
    Pushrods 1a.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Pushrods 2a.JPG
    Pushrods 2a.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Pushrods 3a.JPG
    Pushrods 3a.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 21

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The correct ones are the ones with the larger ends.

The smaller ones were used on lower performance engines and the iron head models.

65beam

Donation Time
push rods

i have a 69 gt with dual stroms that has the smaller push rods and a couple nos rods with the same part number as the larger ones. probably one of chrysler's deals .

Wombat

Donation Time
John

My SIV had the thicker style of pushrods. Mind you it had a 1725 block and a 1600 alloy head, so I cannot guarantee the pushrods were original. I think you will find the thicker ones are hollow and lighter, so they are probably the best to have.

I used to own a Hillman Hunter GT (Aust version) and it had the thinner, solid pushrods like 65beam's Alpine GT.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
If you want a uniform set of pushrods and are wary of putting a set of useed rods of suspect condition in your engine you can get a set of HP chrome moly pushrods from Isky Cams:

ed iskendarian racing cams
16020 s. broadway
gardena ca 90248

phone: 323.770.0930
fax: 310.515.5730

They're $60 a set. They are not in their current catalog but if you call and tell them what you want they'll have it.

Eric
'62 SerII