• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

possible generator trouble

A

alpine in calgary

I had the S2 out for a good bit of running around today and just as I was nearing home an odd sound started up.When I took a look in the engine compartment it seemed like the high pitched sound may have been coming from the generator but I cannot be certain.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
IF I remember correctly there is a small oil hole on the back of the generator. Have you oiled it lately?

Steve

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
When I had a generator (IMP California '67) , I oiled the rear bearing every 3rd or 4th fueling or so. Not a lot but allways keeping the felt inside wet with oil. In the beginning I did not know about this procedure and the bearing ran hot and got damaged (resulting in reparation).

Pumpkin

Donation Time
possible generator troubles

Listen to it. Very carefully listen. Get a 1x1 stick of wood. While running, Place one end on the generator, press the other end on the side of your ear that will plug your ear, listen at each end of the generator.. :D You can hear every little sound.

A short broom handle is good for this also, I have found what number hole is knocking, valves rattling and you can hear sounds down deep in the engine you normally do not hear. ;)

This will work also if you have a car on stands and are running slowly to check for noises in the tranny or the differental. Wheel bearings are a snap with a short stick.

Good luck
Chuck with stick in hand

A

alpine in calgary

Listen to it. Very carefully listen. Get a 1x1 stick of wood. While running, Place one end on the generator, press the other end on the side of your ear that will plug your ear, listen at each end of the generator.. :D You can hear every little sound.

A short broom handle is good for this also, I have found what number hole is knocking, valves rattling and you can hear sounds down deep in the engine you normally do not hear. ;)

This will work also if you have a car on stands and are running slowly to check for noises in the tranny or the differental. Wheel bearings are a snap with a short stick.

Good luck
Chuck with stick in hand

I do know of this little trick....my father did it when I was looking at my first motorbike.....he went over the engine...and then looked at the oil.He then told the guy trying to sell me the bike to F*&K off as the bearings were shot and he tried to cover it with a thicker weight of motor oil LOL.

So what is the best method of getting the oil into the generator?,given the noise was abrupt and the generator was not subject to prolonged use after the noise started I dont think any damage was done.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe pull the generator, oil it (at the brush end) and also check the brushes. Take the generator to the local parts shop and have it tested and listen to it while they have it hooked up.

I had a problem w/ a generator a month or so ago - found that it was the brushed so I just swapped the brushes end plate (I was lazy) from a generator w/ good brushes. I hooked it all back up and it made electricity but now made a noise similar to what you are describing. I pull the generator again and put the old end back on but w/ the good brushed and the noise stopped. The two ends looked exactly the same so I don't know what I did. Good luck