• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Performance Coatings

Jim E

Donation Time
I had this company coat my V6 headers, this was done when I ordered the kit from Jose. the headers sat around for a couple years before I actually got them on a running car. Now I noticed they have rust freckles starting on them, little rust dots all over. So I called the folks who coated them and ask if I did something wrong or ? The guy was real nice and said more or less due to sitting so long the coating absorbed moisture and that is why they rusted. The important thing is to get the headers on a running car and heat cycle them to avoid this. He also said they see this on show cars that do not really get driven. Bottom line he said ship them back and they will give them a coating again no charge. I am thinking the thing to do if you want to have your heders coated is wait until teh car is about ready then send them in, this would also cut back on chipping them while jacking the engine around and on my headers I have one bolt that teh pipe by it could use a ding to make the wrench clear when installing. I would have liked to installed a wide band O2 sensor also. But once you are coated pretty much makes it so you canot tinker witht eh headers.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Nice of them to offer.
Perhaps on the "Next Generation" kits you could install said bung so customer could plug it or use it.
How are things going with sourcing fabbers?

Jim E

Donation Time
Jeff I talked to the exauhst shop that installed the pipes and mufflers on my S3 about building headers and they do it, but have never done any production work. They want to see the jigs before they will say one way or the other. One issue is if they build them the pipe bender they use does not do mandral bends the other is if they piece build the headers they usually get about $700 a set plus materials. I have to talk to Jose about this and see what he thinks, as in will bending with this machine be OK because the piece build price is not going to help us keep the cost in order.

Skywords... yeah got to write that one and another for our buddies down under, thanks for the reminder. I have pictures just need to spit out the words.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
I would think that without mandrell bends they wouldn't be too good.
If I recall they are quite twisty and tightly radiused.
Jim, do me a favor and e-mail me a decent photo of the jigs and headers, I've got some buddys in the custom bike business who look for off season work. Might check into this resource near you as well.

XXXjandrscoville @ aol.comXXX

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
how we suffer.....

"The guy was real nice and said more or less due to sitting so long the coating absorbed moisture and that is why they rusted. The important thing is to get the headers on a running car and heat cycle them to avoid this. He also said they see this on show cars that do not really get driven."

Great! I have that on my headers. Just what I needed. Another excuse to drive my car. "Oh shucks. Another prefect day. Just have to take the V6 out so the headers don't rust! Poor me!" :D

how we suffer for the things we love.