• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Paint

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Ahhhh, busy...busy...busy.................

Allan, there were some better shots of the grille aperture of my car here:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16923

Hope that helps. If you need any more detail just ask.

Mr Bridgeman, how are you old stick...? How's that potential Pebble Beach winner coming along? Are you ready for floor coverings or?

I can only comment on the floor finish of my Moonstone SIV car but I could add that the same technique was used on the Hillman and Humber models that were assembled by Rootes here in Australia so there appears to be some standard practice.

The floor area is finished in body colour, albeit rather poorly, and then it appears to have had some semi gloss black paint sloshed across most, but not all, of the top surface by hand with a thick brush. Similar to the area inside the grille but not nearly as neat since it would never be seen.

Then half a dozen strips of that furry jute material were laid into the channels in the floor pan pressing (to level the surface), and then the bitumen sheeting was laid on top. This sheeting was used on the trans tunnel and floorpan areas.

I should have taken some pics when I went through the "tidying up" phase recently but as usual that idea didn't occur until I had it all buttoned back up again... Apologies to Allan for the hijack :)

Cheers, Lance.

Thanks - that was helpful.

Can you clarify how the hood (bonnet) hinges were painted?

Was the flat portion of the hinge that fastens to the bonnet painted the same color as the bonnet, and the curved portion of the hinge that goes below and fastens beneath painted black?

Thanks in advance,

Allan

65beam

Donation Time
there were differences between the GT and ST cars. my series 4 had the tar paper material laid in all the indentations on the floor and also under the seats and the rear package tray. there was no jute padding in the floor of my car. the floors had no black paint over the green paint. my old rubber mats show the floor indentations . there was a layer of the tar paper on the cover that bolted to the trans tunnel in front of the shifter. the tunnel had carpeting. i don't remember the entire tunnel being covered with tar paper. i did have jute glued to the firewall above the pedals and across the full width of the fire wall. we removed it when we started the restoration and this material is on the shelf but will be replaced since it looks pretty worn out and got over spray during some repairs back in the 80's. there was also tar paper on the inside of the doors.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
my series 4 had the tar paper material laid in all the indentations on the floor and also under the seats and the rear package tray. there was no jute padding in the floor of my car. the floors had no black paint over the green paint. my old rubber mats show the floor indentations . there was a layer of the tar paper on the cover that bolted to the trans tunnel in front of the shifter. the tunnel had carpeting. i don't remember the entire tunnel being covered with tar paper. i did have jute glued to the firewall above the pedals and across the full width of the fire wall. we removed it when we started the restoration and this material is on the shelf but will be replaced since it looks pretty worn out and got over spray during some repairs back in the 80's. there was also tar paper on the inside of the doors.

That's exactly like my SV, except that my tunnel *does* have the original tar paper covering all of it. It also covers the back shelf and uprights behind the seats leading to that shelf.

moonstone SIV

Donation Time
Allan,

Sorry, forgot about your hinge question. It appears the bonnet was fitted at the time the exterior colour was applied, therefor the hinges were coated at the same time.

However when the bonnet is closed you can just see the "elbow" of the hinges protruding from below the top of the grille opening. Some black paint (with a brush), was applied just to these areas to make them less obvious when viewed low down from the front.

No doubt this was less of an aesthetic issue on the Forest Green, Midnight Blue and Embassy Black cars.

Lance.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Lancey, how are you diddling along, me old muckeroo? As for my waste of hard earned, coachwork is now completed ($26000 AUS):(
Paintwork next ($13000 AUS):(

However it should look OK once it's finished;)

I've even sent all the glass off for special polishing, back to scratchless 'as new'

Where do you keep shots of your chariots. I'd like to have a snoop

All the best etc

Oliver

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan,

Sorry, forgot about your hinge question. It appears the bonnet was fitted at the time the exterior colour was applied, therefor the hinges were coated at the same time.

However when the bonnet is closed you can just see the "elbow" of the hinges protruding from below the top of the grille opening. Some black paint (with a brush), was applied just to these areas to make them less obvious when viewed low down from the front.

No doubt this was less of an aesthetic issue on the Forest Green, Midnight Blue and Embassy Black cars.

Lance.

Thanks Lance.