• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

overdrive oil leak, what's this bolt/plug?

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a slow but persistent oil leak from the rear of my overdrive.
It appears to be coming from this bolt/plug, next to the speedo drive but I'm not sure what it is and what will happen if I undo it... Does it locate/fix the speedo drive bearing or something?
It has a copper washer. It looks like it needs to be removed and re-sealed with some thread sealant and a new washer.

Gearbox/overdrive was a recon unit supplied by Jeff H a few years ago and is otherwise perfect.

Thanks,
Dave
IMG_3199.JPG

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
This is a "face seal" situation - thread seal is not the right way to go. Either get a new copper sealing washer or take the current one off, heat it to red hot with a torch and immediately quench it in water to bring it back to dead soft temper. Put it back on, tighten it up and it should seal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
^ What Mike said. ^ Also, I would probably put a wee bit of Hylomar on both faces of the copper washer before installing it to enhance sealing and to help prevent galling of the aluminum against the copper.