• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pressure - strange?

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi all,

Something strange happened this morning on the way to get my annual haircut.

I started the engine on my SV (1725), and as normal, I immediately push in the choke to reduce the RPM until the oil pressure cames up, then pull it back out to smooth running. This is my normal routine.

After letting it warm for a minute or so, I started down the road. With no warning only a few seconds down the road, the oil pressure reading began to gradually drop to zero (approximately 10 seconds to drop). Very concerned, yet already at my destination, I promptly shut it down.

Under normal conditions, the pressure will start at 45-50 psi at idle, then as it warms, it'll drop to as low as 12-15 psi when fully hot. At higher RPM, any temp, the pressure will typically max out at 45-50 psi

Upon returning to the Alpine 20 minutes later, I checked the dip stick and looked for signs of oil on and under the engine. All was clean, so I carefully started the engine again.... Low and behold, the oil pressue came up to it's normal 45-50 psi cold.

I've never seen this behavior before, and hopefully won't again, but it's got me a little concerned. Could it be something as simple as air in the oil gauge line?

Jim E

Donation Time
Sounds a bit like a sticking oil pressure relief valve at least that is the easiest and cheapest first place to start when your oil pressure does whacky stuff. Would pull it and clean it and see what happens.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I had this issue, take out the OPRV and clean it in thinners, also change your oil and filter if they are getting on.

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks guys... I'll take care of it this week.

I must say, that it is great to have her back on the road after so many months.

Rich