• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD Tranny on EBay

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Could be a good price, but one thing I'll tell you from experience is that when the input shaft turns rough, the main shaft is often damaged from bad or rusty rollers to the input shaft.

I bought my first "cheap" OD trans that way, and now I have a box of spares.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
For the sake of comparison, Ian and I just sent two more overdrives to John Roseby in the UK to rebuild. He rebuilt the one in my Series 3, and now has rebuilt the one that will go in my Sebring tribute car.

His cost for parts and labor was $330 for mine, and the round trip shipping (which Ian and I split) was over $400. The weak dollar is killing us! :(

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott is this for the overdrive unit and gearbox and was the cost in pounds or dollars.

The OD on e-bay is mine by the way.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
This was just for the overdrive unit. He also does rebuild gearboxes. I'm sure the cost to rebuild an overdrive unit varies depending on the condition of yours, so it could be less or more depending.
The cost is in US dollars.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Doesnt Sunbeam Spec carry replacment parts for the D style (I dont know if they have the input shaft or not)

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Scott,

Was that shipping price for one or two overdive units? At this time of year you could fly to the UK and pick it up in person for $400!

I have a couple of good used overdrive units and mainshafts here in Scotland. If they are worth that much I may try to stash one in my luggage when I fly back to California next week! :)

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was for two overdrives at roughly $200 each way. Hey, heavy items are expensive to ship these days!

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

In 2006 I brought 2 empty duffel bags to the U.K. in our luggage. On the return trip I had them both full of goodies. They only charged me extra for one. It had a complete set of new springs in it. Both of them were quite heavy. If I had found an O.D. tranny it would have come home like that. I went to the SAOC annual, and had made arrangements to get certain parts. It is an expensive way to shop, but since I was going anyway, It worked out OK.