• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

no rain..the cat came out!

64beam

Donation Time
I did'nt think big cats were scared of the rain ;) . Still no rego? Today was a perfect day for it too. How long until it come out properly?

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yeah, the LHD thing can be a bit tricky in the photos. However the car did come from the USA to here... just took WAY to long!

I still need to register the car, just not getting enough time to do the little things that it requires for a local pass... I REALLY want to put some miles in on it.... its so painful having one.. ready to roll.. and not being allowed to play!

skywords

Donation Time
Michael
What the hell do they require for registration? Move here if it runs your legal. I can't imagine what more you would have to do to a beautifuly restored car like that to satisfy your DMV.

Here in Marana they encourage broken headlights, rusty floors, duct tape windshields, oil burning engines, dragging exhausts, one headlight on bomber duty and the other on submarine watch. Brakes are optional. Oh and the minimum number of whiskey dents is 50. Pickup trucks are exempt from these stringent requirements as long as no exhaust systems are installed. Proof of finacial responsibility can be done at the saloon by buying the Sheriff another beer. We don't worry about global warming here where it's 112 in the shade. Marana residents believe that there is no such thing as glaciers and ice caps, these are merely hollywood hoaxs just like the moon landings:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick,

I had to change the headlights to RHD (done) indicator lights to orange (done) and fix a few misc issues like horns, brake light switch etc.. (done) put on exhausts that keep the car beloow 92db (done as close as i could)now for the fun part. All the beautiful braided lines, aircraft fittings, fuel psi regulator gauges, harnessess do not have the ADR stamp on them (australian design standards) so i have to prove they comply with local laws.

Now.. as the car is modified in theory i have to prove the 4 wheels discs (dales resto) are engineered properly that the cars 302 is not putting out more BHP than the car can handle, have no washers as spacers in the engine bay (must be solid spacers) only washers are to shim the altenator to align.. but still a no no.. prove the fuel cell in the car is safe .. have they considred what the saddle tanks and cropss over tube do in an accident? Now all of this will be decided by an engineer if i get sent over the traps, which i am hoping won't happen.

Then there is the issue of numbers. A car here must have the numbers STAMPED into a significant part of the body (chassis rail, bulkhead) which alpines and tigers (bar SI/II alpines) didn't have, and i must have a STAMPED engine number, which ford V8's dont have. Problem being, how to access the block to stamp it while in the car... and how to stamp the body without damaging the paint.

I will sort this out.. but wt the moment work is a little hectic and travel has and continues to happen.. so will just have to play it by ear.

skywords

Donation Time
Michael
Wow they run their auto safety standards just like aircraft standards here. I feel for you they have gone off the deep end there. Good luck it sounds like you have a handle on it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Rick,

Yes it does seem a little over the top, and i can tell you my tiger is safer now than new.. hwoevere just because mine has been done well does not mean everyone would do a proper job, just look at some of the botched modifications we have discussed on the board.

As a side note a friend here converted a 60's falcon 2 door to a V8. The engineers made him switch to 5 stud wheels, add a strut brace in the engine bay, 3 point belts front and back (he had retained the orginal laps) and made him remove the headers as they were within 12mm of the chassis rails (have you guys seen how close tiger headers come?)

Anyway, i am all for safety, but i see the irony in the fact we have no anual or bi-anaual checks on the cars, in fact the only time you need to prove its safety is when registering it or selling it.. or if the boys in blue pull you over and notice things not quite right.

However i think the issue for me is stamping the numbers.. once i have done that.. all i need to do is try and keep my liscence :D :D

skywords

Donation Time
Michael
I scrolled thru your build up pics and every detail looks to be first cabin. I sometimes wish they would do more inspections here like they do in our eastern states. I am about to take my MC-5A down to the AZ DMV and get it inspected and tagged. The norm here for autos is they look at the data tag and thats it. I am curious what they will do with 25,000 lbs of rolling steel. I had an emergency maximum braking stop on a 6% grade from about 60mph rolling to a stop just short of someones bumper. It left me white as a sheet. I like air brakes for the fact that you have a guage that you can watch cycle as you drive and can listen for leaks after shut down and monitor the system charge rate on start ups. If pressure is lost the maxi brakes apply brakes to the rear wheels.

Funny I got rid of my Buicks and started building Alpines because I can lift all the parts by myself. And now I have a Greyhound Bus:eek:

I don't see how they could have a problem with the fuel tank or plumbing since it looks to be track standards for racing. Is there a bladder in the tank or that anti slosh foam? My Quad 4 is going to run 45psi fuel pressure. The Beretta that the Quad 4 was stock in had nylon fuel lines "a little scarey".

Why don't you try and engrave a small steel plate with the VIN and flush rivet to the firewall and fill and paint it the same color so you can't see the rivet heads. Also a nice touch is to use a white lacquer stick to highlight the numbers and then clear lacquer over the top. I have done that to some of the data tags on my cars it looks nice and makes them real easy to read.