• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

next steps

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi, I am new to Alpines & have a very rust-free 67 in need of restoration. I am planning to do a V6 conversion. What would be the best donor engine and transmission to obtain? Are certain years more desireable? Thanks for any assistance on this.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi, I am new to Alpines & have a very rust-free 67 in need of restoration. I am planning to do a V6 conversion. What would be the best donor engine and transmission to obtain? Are certain years more desireable? Thanks for any assistance on this.
If you can do a search on this board, I think you will find what you are looking for. This subject has been discussed quite extensively before.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
Yeah it has been pretty well hashed over but in short. I like the Ranger/Bronco II version of the 2.8, not sure of teh years they were produced with teh engine off the top of my head. The R/BII version has flanged thrust washers and the cam has larger journals, not that either of these things is a big deal but it also has the right oil pan and will have teh oil filter adaptor both of which you do need. The T5 from a later Mustang with the 3.8 is seems to be teh trans of choice right now.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Birdfan,

I'm sorry I thought you could find all the vehicles that the 2.8 V6 came in, but I tried to use the search function and couldn't find it. Maybe it is just because I don't know how to manage it, but I came up empty handed.

The 2.8 Ford V6 came in several vehicles, so I will list all of them and the years in which they were made.

Mustang II/Capri/Capri II/ Pinto/Bobcat wagons. Years, 1974-1978, and a few 1979 Fox bodied Mustangs too.

Ranger/Bronco II, years 1983-1985/6. Aerostar vans, I think years 1983-1985.

The engines you are most likely to find, are rhe Ranger/Bronco II, because they are more recent, so they are more likely to be in the wrecking yards. Either the early or late 2.8 V6 will be fine.

The differences are:

1.) The early engines use thrust washers, and the late engines use a flanged thrust main bearing.

2.) The late engines have a larger diameter cam shaft than the early ones.

3.) The late engine cranks have under cut fillet radiuses.

4.) The 1974 heads were better to make power, because they don't have a heat riser cast in.

The rest of the engine is the same. There are some parts off of the early engine that you will need to make the conversion work, so keep your eye out for an early car, preferrably a Mustang II, because if you score a complete standard shift car, you will get the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter; all things that will need to do the conversion. You will also get the 8" rear end that you will need if you plan on using the 200 hp engine.

I hope this helps you.

Jose:)

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
THANKS for the replies. At this stage, trying to avoid picking up the "wrong" components will save me a lot of grief and $ later on. I am looking forward to a fun project. Kevin

atallamcs

Donation Time
Engine choice

I tend to think differently about engine choice. I think the Saturn Ion Redline--Ecotec engine, supercharged with 205 hp and very light might be a novel way to go. It is new and there are reports that the little four cylinder has had the hp boosted to over 1000 hp, so, there is all kinds of power to be derived from this engineering marvel.

Bill Atalla

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
turned sideways

Bill,
Like your ideal of considering the ecotec engine but. yes but looking at my Saturn Sky Redline turbo which is rear wheel drive they kind of did a odd placement. The ecotec engine was developed for front wheel drive, like duh they turned it sideways to stuff it into the Sky rear wheel drive. So its huge wide placement I don't think would ever fit in an Alpine, guess I could measure mine and send you the block size. My turbo charged 2.0 ecotec in the Alpine, Bat out of hell!

Donna
:D