• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New SAOCA Tool Loan Program - Coming Soon!

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Wanted to give all readers of this forum a heads up that your officers have been busy working on new things we could bring to the table for all who wish to maintain their Alpines.

We noticed a need and decided to fill it - how about a tool loan program, available to all, for the most important tools you may need to keep your Alpine on the road?

Some of the items already on our wish list are:

1. hub pullers (Doug Jennings is working up a quote for us on custom made pullers guaranteed to work on Alpine & Tiger hubs)
2. engine puller "cradle" (Jan Servaites is building two for us to use; check out his article on this home made item in the Marque back issues)
3. pulley alignment tool
4. clutch alignment tool
5. bubble flaring kit for brake lines
6. Colortune kits
7. slide hammers for pulling axles

This is the beginning of the list. We plan on having multiples of these items, so for example, more than one person can be pulling their hubs at the same time. Not all the details have been worked out, but it will involve a refundable deposit to cover replacement of the tool if damaged or lost, as well as payment to cover shipping costs. We're thinking about loaning the tools out for a maximum of 30 days.

We're not ready to start taking orders yet, but I wanted you to know what's going on behind the scenes. Look for an official announcement soon. If you have ideas for additional tools let us know.

Let us hear from you!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, as you probably know, there is absolutely noting on the list I could use, but I think it is a great idea. So many of the items are either very expensive or difficult to find. I've been working on my cars (non Alpine) for about 35 years and have none of the listed items that would be appropriate for use on an Alpine.

Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
WOW, I just asked about the unique hub pullers!

Great ideal Scott, maybe the loan program should be a chapter member outlet each Chapter President has the necessary hub puller etc. to loan? I would rather drive to Dallas then Ohio if necessary :D Shipping some of the heavier tools may cost more then the tools itself.
I remember Ian had to go all the way back to his house in 2005 and get the unique hub puller to fix the Alpine in the parking lot, some banging and cuss words did not work took the right tool minutes to get it off.

Donna
:D

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Great idea Scott!! If it works or not it is great that you and the board members are working behind the scenes to better the club and that is why we all support you! Keep up the good work!

Todd Smith
63 Alpine
Lexington SC

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Kudos

A very generous offer and kind of the Board to consider offering this to the membership. I hope I don't start another heated exchange but you might consider making that a value added reason to be a dues paying member at any level.

To expand on the idea, how about a V6 Jose or Jim loaner program for us Dark Siders? :D:D

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Tool Loan Program

The tool loan program is a great idea! If a set of tools was sent out to each chapter I would be happy to handle the loaning out the tools.

How about a book & video library also?

Regards,

Jack

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This is a great idea! The local Alfa club has a program like this and I have often thought about joining it just to be able to borrow some of their tools. Thanks for doing this. I can't wait!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

If you have a V6 Alpine, you already have all the tools you'll need, right in your tool box. It is of a more modern design, so all modern tools fit just fine, plus there are no antique hub designs that require special tools to disassemble them. The V6 Alpine is about as simple as you can get. Another reason to go with the Dark Side.:D

Jose :)

A very generous offer and kind of the Board to consider offering this to the membership. I hope I don't start another heated exchange but you might consider making that a value added reason to be a dues paying member at any level.

To expand on the idea, how about a V6 Jose or Jim loaner program for us Dark Siders? :D:D

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
ah shucks....

Hi Nick,

If you have a V6 Alpine, you already have all the tools you'll need, right in your tool box. It is of a more modern design, so all modern tools fit just fine, plus there are no antique hub designs that require special tools to disassemble them. The V6 Alpine is about as simple as you can get. Another reason to go with the Dark Side.:D

Jose :)

So I take it that's a no on the Jose/Jim loaner program?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Super idea Scott :) .

I'd suggest any tool on the Churchill tool list found in the back of many Sunbeam books.

I'd second the idea to limit loans to dues paying folks as well, at least give them priority.

Possible other tools:

--pop rivet gun
--wire band crimper gun (soft top wire installation)

Allan

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Tool loan sugestion

My I also sugggest a clear set of instructions on the proper use of these specialized tools? I assume these aren't tools one would normally keep in his rollaway box and as such, most guys aren't familiar with the correct use.

I would hate to have to tell a guy (who has been waiting in line all winter for) the left handed widget adjustor isn't going to be there on time because some guy in Goodyear Arizona pretzeled it....