• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New restorer

S

Susan

My husband & I are beginning to restore an Alpine that my Father restored years ago. It has been setting in a building for 20+ years. All the lights were working before he parked it but not now. Can you tell me where a fuse box might be located?

Also, how difficult is it to get all the gauges working again?

Thanks

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Susan,
After sitting for 20 years, I would think all of the bullet connectors have corrosion in them. After those get cleaned up you might see the lights come on in the instruments and else where. Battery cables will do the same thing. You will have to check every electrical connection. But just remember "there is light at the end of the tunnel".:)

mikephillips

Donation Time
Fuse box is on the l/h side of the engine compartment, top of wheel well near where the brace from the cowl attaches. As Bob pointed out, the main problem is probably that all the various connections need to be cleaned, including the grounds. I would suggest adding ground wires from the tail lamps and front marker lamps to a screw or bolt "out of the weather" rather than relying on the housing mount screws to the body. They can be made easily from wire bought at the hardware store, get black since in Lucas world all grounds are black. Brake and clutch masters and cylinders should be rebuilt with new or replaced as well before attempting to drive since the seals from 20 years ago are probably shot.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Welcome

:)
Since the guys jumped in with the technical answer I will Welcome you to the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America, you will get a lot of questions answered here, a never ending source of information. Post some pictures for us, like any old women getting a make over you need a before and after picture of the Alpine :D Send in the model / serial numbers and register the car if it has not already been done, please.

Donna
:D

Frontalobotomy

Donation Time
Mechanic

Hello from Broken Arrow, Okla. I am new to Sunbeam ownership, just picked up 1960 Series 1. I am having difficulty locating a good and knowledgeable auto mechanic for my car. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mechanic in the Tulsa or surrounding area?

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Hello Neighbor!

O goody another Alpine in the Metro WAHOO!
A couple of years ago I used a fellow in South Tulsa on 56th between Mingo and Garnett, Quality Imports. Another option is a place off of 11th street close to Harvard International Imports, they sell lots of older import parts. You need parts? A fellow named Bernie Champon in Owasso has some NOS parts and Steve Cleveland has some, what type of work are you needing done?

Donna

Frontalobotomy

Donation Time
I just received the car on sunday 8/24. Have not had a chance to go through systems yet. Car seems pretty solid. Vin #B90 LRX with body #4016 according to info in technical data is a series 1, but side window channels go all the way up to top of windscreen. I thought this feature was introduced on the series 2 models. I am going to attempt repair work myself but wanted to know if backup was available. Car sat for 18 years in climate controlled garage. Sorry for the late hour but when working at night one has free time. Can you suggest oil type, gasoline and manuals? Where do I look on engine to identify size? The data tag is pretty much gone and with the the side window channels being different it is hard to tell what size the engine is? Any help is greatly appreciated. My wife said I was crazy for buying this car but she would not let me have a motorcycle and there are way to many mustangs and camaros on the road.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Check the flat just above the fuel pump on the r/h front of the engine. There should be a serial number there. If it's still the original engine, starting with a B90 number, then it should be a 1494cc. After that it went to 1592cc and finally 1724cc in the last models. Also, does the dipstick enter the pan, which makes it one of the first 2, or into the block, making it a 1724. It's not unusual to find that over the years motors have been swapped due to wear or breakage. There's also a casting date and some other information on the block near the starter if you want to look for that.

As for the window guides going all the way up, the portion that fixes to the door is the same for both series I and II so they can be interchanged, perhaps that's what's been done in the past to keep the window from moving.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Search Threads

I would search on this forum for topics that you have questions for, lots of excellent information. You will need a Sunbeam Manual best investment to make before you tear into the car. We are heading to the Invasion first thing in the morning but when we return would like to meet up with you. I drove Vicki the Alpine in to work today so she is sitting in the parking lot Pine and Highway 169 NORDAM's front lot behind the fence see her from highway 169 or just North West of the traffic light, Sapphire blue Series IV black tonnue cover. I think it was mentioned many times before but safety first, brakes, electrical, lights, steering, then all the rest. I will try and help smooth things over with the wife, let her know your always out in the garage working, could be out running around :D BTW Some of us are women into this so called Hobby! Yes you picked a very unique car we have 10 tigers in town but only 3 Alpines that I know of and one is never driven so Let's get yours on the Road!

Donna