• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Dual Master Brake Cylinder on E-Bay

AlpineII

Donation Time
Check it out. There is someone selling new dual master brake cylinders on E-Bay, 3/4 inch bore. It has the reservoirs are mounted on the top of the unit. Anyone know what vehicle this is from or what aftermarket manufacturer is putting them out?

Wombat

Donation Time
Finally

Benefit of the dual circuit is that the front and rear brakes are separated, so if a seal fails in one circuit, you still have the other circuit working giving you some brakes. Safer. Can't see any reason it wouldn't fit a SII, but you LHD types may need to watch for clearance between the master cylinder and the inlet manifolds.

Jim E

Donation Time
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATS...ryZ33566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dats...ryZ34199QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I like the above unit it is closer to a .700 bore

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATS...ryZ34199QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

above is the F10 unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mast...ryZ33566QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

All sorts of them out there on the ebay for cheap, imagine on a stock engine car you would have to run a single down draft weber to fit one but maybe not. Just remember they have metric threads for the fittings.

Use 'Datsun master' 'Nabco' 'Nissan master' cannot think of the other one 'Tackio or some such, anyway search on ebay with these words will usually turn these up you just need to make sure the bore is right, usually you can see the bore size cast in the M/C body. Same search will bring up clutch masters that will work also. There is a seller on ebay that list this stuff all the time who happens to be just down the street from me "qualityautopartswarehouse" great guys who when I go by will drag out box after box for me to look at. They have a huge warehouse of old stock bought out from who knows... everything from the little skunks you hang from the mirror to...

finally

Donation Time
To install one of these is easy? Just hook it up & change the brake line routes? Or is it more involved?

I tried doing a search but didn't find a detailed description. I need to decide whether to rebuild my current one or replace with something like this. I'm leaning towards putting one of these in.

George Farrell

Donation Time
So, I got a Datsun MC, and installed it while the head was at the machine shop. Everything went well until I tried to put the intake manifold (from a Series IV) with a Weber DGV- 32/36 back on. No luck!!! The Datsun MC is supposed to fit the 620, B20, 200SX, 610 and 710 and has the fittings for the brake lines on the bottom. Has anyone actually installed a MC from a F-10, which appears to have the fittings on the side, on a left hand drive Alpine with the Series IV mainfold and Weber carb?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

George

gordonra

Donation Time
To install one of these is easy? Just hook it up & change the brake line routes? Or is it more involved?

The original brake switch is a pressure switch. It would be advisable to remove the original and replace it with a pedal switch (which has been previously discussed here). A fellow could add a second switch for the new circuit, or run the single switch and hope that it's not on the circuit that fails.

George Farrell

Donation Time
But, my problem is the dual master cylinder I have intrudes into the space where the Series IV intake manifold should be. Does anyone know if a Datsun F-10 will work with the Series IV intake?

George

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
George, cannot answer your question. But do I have an F10 MC, it is 6 1/2" long from the firewall not using the Alpine MC spacer and 1 1/2" diameter. It is necessary to open up the hole in the firewall for the F10 to mount properly. Are you using the Alpine master cylinder spacer?

Bill

George Farrell

Donation Time
Bill,

Thanks for checking. I set a piece of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe 6" long in the place of the MC and it looks like it will clear everything. I've ordered an F-10 MC from the Advance Auto Parts on-line catalogue, costs $40.99 plus shipping. I'll post the outcome.

George

George Farrell

Donation Time
I have it all together. The F-10 MC fits nicely, I used a 1/8 inch spacer, which eliminated the need to enlarge the hole in the firewall. I think a spacer 1/4 thick would make removal of the rear reservoir cap easier.

Has anyone retained the power booster (boosting the front calipers and sending unboosted pressure to the rear drums)? I was surprised at how much pedal pressure is required with this 3/4 inch MC.

All in all, I think I'll feel more secure knowing that a ruptured line will not result in total brake failure. The extra pedal pressure is a small price to pay.

George

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
George, if you boost the front brakes and not the rear, you would get very little, if any, rear braking effort. If I remember correctly, the booster increase the pressure about 2.5 times. It takes about 10 psi to overcome the brake shoe retractor springs. That means the rear brakes would be little more than parking brakes.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
Here it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUNB...ryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm curious if this will fit right onto a Series 2. Is there a benefit to the dual?

On your question about the F10 master & series 2. I can partially answer to your question. I have installed the F10 master on my Series 2. The hole in the firewall is smaller than the boss(step) on the master so I filed down the master boss not the firewall and it fits well. I had to use a remote reservoir from a Mitsubishi Galant(easy to find at salvage yard). The fitings on the master are metric so I acquired metric to US fittings at NAPA. Reservoir to master require rubber hoses and fittings.
Now for the disclaimer. Will the master fit your Series 2? My series 2 has a V6 installed so I cant address any intake issues of the Rootes engine.
I can tell you Im very pleased with the performance of my dual brake system. No more do I worry if I can stop and I donot feel I need a booster.Best of all on mountain roads ,traffic ect you at least know if you had a failure you would not be without brakes totally. When I installed the F10 master I also replaced all brake lines,installed braided SS hoses at all 3 hose locations and Im using the nissan pads up front.I hope this helps.
DwainV6 Krazy

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On your braided SS hoses, do they connect between standard Alpine components? With the correct flares? If so, where did you get them, and can you dig up the part numbers your ordered?
Thanks!
Ken

britbeam

Donation Time
On your braided SS hoses, do they connect between standard Alpine components? With the correct flares? If so, where did you get them, and can you dig up the part numbers your ordered?
Thanks!
Ken

Ken the hoses connect up like the originals. I took my original hoses to a Auto Parts store that mfg hydraulic hoses and they made them to match.They were pretty pricey I remember I cant recall th exact amount. mabe someelse on the forum has a source where you can purchase by part number. I just used this store because I knew they could build what I needed and in a short period of time.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If I remember correctly, I bought a set of steel braided brake hoses for a Tiger, from Classic Sunbeams, in Ossening, N.Y. They bolted right up on the Alpine I'm working on.

Jose:)