• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need to clutch when activating overdrive?

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello all,
I have a SV Alpine with overdrive. I was wondering if I need to clutch when activating/deactivating the overdrive? I know it works with or without clutching but I was wondering if I can damage something if I do not clutch?
Thanks
Laurent

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I always clutch when activating and deactivating the OD. I believe it is easier on the OD components if the clutch is used.

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Like Mike, I also use the clutch when disengaging the OD. I also never give it much gas pedal when engaging it, either… even throttle.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I slightly lift the accelerator when going into overdrive but no clutch.

When switching out of overdrive I use the clutch and rev match.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Personally I feel that you are showing more mechanical sympathy if you depress the clutch a fraction. It may not be strictly necessary but it makes the drive smoother.
Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, Quantum partially agrees with what I said. I feather the throttle when shifting into OD, but I do use the clutch when shifting out, because backwards pressure on the OD isn't really great long term. That's why you're forbidden to use it in reverse. Perhaps I'm being too soft on the unit, but then mine is still working, so....

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, use the clutch; you are engaging / disengaging another gear in the drive line, be kind to it..

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
History says you are dealing with a delicate mechanism, utmost care is not misdirected. Especially when shifting OUT of overdrive.
Bill

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The overdrive has a one-way clutch inside it. It locks if you turn the shaft backward. If it was stuck on and you put it in reverse, hopefully it would stall and you realized something was wrong before you twisted/broke the transmission main shaft.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The overdrive has a one-way clutch inside it. It locks if you turn the shaft backward. If it was stuck on and you put it in reverse, hopefully it would stall and you realized something was wrong before you twisted/broke the transmission main shaft.
You get a terrible sound as a warning if the OD is still on and you try and go into reverse... Happened on my father's SIVGT... Luckily didn't kill the 'box