• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mustang II Donor Car

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, if it has the 2.8. And since it's a 4-speed, it would have the flywheel and bellhousing that you would need as well.

lgurley

Donation Time
how

how can I verify that this is a 2.8? Is there some code in the vin. or some other easy to recognize feature?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It should be a "Z" in the vin.

5th Digit: Engine
Engine Code
302 2-V, 8-cyl. F
139 2-V, 4-cyl. (2.3L) Y
169 2-V, 6-cyl. (2.8L) Z

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Assuming the seller is correct in saying that this is a V6 with manual transmission (and assuming no PO put a different engine in it), it will be the correct engine. There was only one V6 available on the Mustang II. You will still need to get a handful of Ranger/Bronco parts, but the MII parts are the most difficult bits to find.

Of course, the engine could be junk, in which case you may end up paying a fair amount for what your really need (bellhousing, timing cover, flywheel, pulleys, etc.). But there are some desirable parts on the MIIs (I believe hot rodders value the front suspensions and the 8" rear ends are good for more than Alpines), so you could probably recoup at least some of your investment by parting it out. But, IMHO you should be careful paying too much for any car that includes this statement: "I was told the car would run, but the gas tank is in the rear hatch and not hooked up. So I don't know.". Still, it is tempting...

lgurley

Donation Time
I was told it ran

Yeah, I know but when I called him all the numbers were right for a 2.8 and when I heard all the little kids hanging onto his leg calling him Daddy. Well what the heck, I just hope he spends it on those kids.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This car should have the 2.8 V6. The rear end is an 8", and might even have the 3.55's in it. The 3.55's are the lowest ratio that came in a Mustang II 8". I still recommend replacing them with a set of 4.11's, but if you can't do that, the 3.55's will work OK in this conversion. You not only get the engine, but the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pulleys and electornic ignition. If the engine won't run, it can be rebuilt, which is what I recommend anyway. $700 is a goodly price for it, but not out of line for what you get. Unfortunately, it appears that this one is already sold. I hope one of you was able to get it.

Jose :)