• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More Questions

Derek

Donation Time
As i've had the '67 sV (late) for 2 months I have a bunch of new suprises and bodge jobs that just keep popping up.

1) what was the original carpet pad ?
2) was the carpet snapped into place ?
3) the PO has been running Mobil 1 oil, is this a good choice ?
4) I've been looking but tire choices are limited, any recommendations ? I want to keep the stock steel wheels for now, if I do chenge I'll go to 14's
5) It needs shocks etc. SPAX, Koni, ? whats the best choice, I'm pretty aggressive, but as I'm in the restaurant biz weekend autocross and such are not in my future.
6) Is there a match for the Foam Grey pint on the wheels ?

more to follow...

The forum is great, thanks for all of the help

Derek

Nickodell

Donation Time
The carpet on my SV was snapped onto studs on the floor.

Mobil 1 is an excellent synthetic multigrade oil, but if yours uses (burns, leaks) oil like most do, maybe a bit expensive. In addition, if you were following this forum a month ago you would have read an extensive discussion of the removal of zinc dithiophosphate (ZDTP) from gasoline-engine motor oils because of its claimed deleterious effect on catalytic converters. ZDTP is essential in older engines like ours to prevent premature cam wear. Diesel-engine oils like Shell Rotella still contain it, and several forum members use this oil.

I converted to Konis 10 years ago, and it was one of the best things I did to improve roadholding. If you go to 14" wheels and tires you will increase the unsprung weight (unless you use lightweight wheels like real Minilites), so you will need very efficient shocks like Konis to prevent this from degrading roadholding.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Diesel-engine oils like Shell Rotella still contain it, and several forum members use this oil.

Do all diesel-engine oils contain ZDTP? Everything I have read singled out Rotella, but I don't recall seeing any reference to diesel oils in general.

Derek

Donation Time
While the subject is up ,what about lead additives for gasoline, octane boosters, etc. Will valve seats live on unleaded gas ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
1) what was the original carpet pad ?
- if you mean carpets, unless the car was a GT it would have had a carpet tunnel with rubber mats. GT's had a synthetic carpet with jute backing. Carpet kits are available from SS, VB and MW

2) was the carpet snapped into place ?
-Not sure if they were oriingaly snapped in place, butmost owners do so now.

3) the PO has been running Mobil 1 oil, is this a good choice ?
-If its mobil 1 synthetic i would be woried its leaking out everywhere

4) I've been looking but tire choices are limited, any recommendations ?
I want to keep the stock steel wheels for now, if I do chenge I'll go to 14's
-13" sports tyres are gettng harder to come by, yokohama, pirelli and brindgestone all make them, or you can go semi slicks like falken azenis or toyo.

5) It needs shocks etc. SPAX, Koni, ? whats the best choice, I'm pretty aggressive, but as I'm in the restaurant biz weekend autocross and such are not in my future.
-Konis are very expensive and good, Spax are cheaper and almost as good, especially for street driving. Konis are rebuildable, but compare the rebuild cost to a pair of new spax and it might put that in pesepctive.

6) Is there a match for the Foam Grey pint on the wheels ?
- Jan from the board should be able to help you out.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Quote, "4) I've been looking but tire choices are limited, any recommendations ?
I want to keep the stock steel wheels for now, if I do chenge I'll go to 14's 13" sports tyres are gettng harder to come by, yokohama, pirelli and brindgestone all make them, or you can go semi slicks like falken azenis or toyo."

I'm using standard wheels. I found Dayton Quadra SE
P185/70R13 at Tires Plus. They ride very good and fill the wheel well very nicely.:D

Derek

Donation Time
Thanks all for the carpet info, tires etc. I've seen the carpet kits offered but was wondering what the original looked like, the floors seem a bit rough to have just had rubber mats, especially under the seats. Also was there any insulation on the floors ?

Derek