• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Milky Oil!!!!

Jim E

Donation Time
I milled my intake as the Pruitt book says to and it did not fit by a long shot not sure if we just milled it wrong or the amount the book says to take off was wrong. Anyway it was very obvious it did not fit and had to be cut again.

seriesvince

Donation Time
OK... so here is where I am at.

I took the intake manifold off AGAIN and started doing some measuring. I noticed that I have about 15-20 mm difference in measurement when I compare the 2 areas marked with the red lines. This tells me that I probably have a bad mill job. yeah?

Also... I noticed that the bolt holes are different distances from the edges. From what I can tell... A and B SHOULD BE the same... and C and D should be the same. Any comment on that one?

I also get the slightest bit of rock when I put the manifold on with no gasket. I KNOW thats bad.

My question is... assuming that this is my problem... how do you go about fixing it? What am I supposed to tell the mill guy that I need to have corrected? I can't take the motor down and say "here make it fit that". Ideas?

intake_manifold_web.jpg

Once again... thank you all... have a great weekend!

Vince

artic cat

Donation Time
are you sure it was balanced before you gave to your machine shop? they may have taken the same amount off both sides. however I would hope the machinist would have noticed and contacted me before continuing with the job.
I'd be looking for a new intake.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I milled my intake as the Pruitt book says to and it did not fit by a long shot not sure if we just milled it wrong or the amount the book says to take off was wrong. Anyway it was very obvious it did not fit and had to be cut again.

The areas you measured are NOT the appropriate area to measure.

I cannot comment as to if A-B should equal C-D, this would assume there is a parallelogram, and I would not make that assumption.

Instead, measure across the flat section of the bottom (this is going to be tough to measure due to the irregular details).

Also ANY milling that has been done will mis-align your ports.

seriesvince

Donation Time
so what is the procedure to correct this? How can I ensure that the ports will be aligned?

This is the last piece of the puzzle!!!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
so what is the procedure to correct this? How can I ensure that the ports will be aligned?

This is the last piece of the puzzle!!!

The first item to do is to measure the width of both sides of the bottom of the intake. If its not about the same dimension, there is no way the manifold is square.

When you face the heads, the ports drop relative to the intake ports.

When you face the manifold port flanges,the opposite occurs.

A careful machinist would square the intake relative to the flat base (bottom of the intake), then rotate the manifold by the angle of the flanges and just "kiss" the flange faces. Kiss meaning take a few thou tops.
If the base is no longer the same width at each end, the machinist has really screwed up, and the intake is scrap.

If it turns out your intake is still square, you can fix misaligned ports by doing a port match which involves doing a bit of grinding to oversize the intake and exhaust ports till there is no step between the intake and head ports.