• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mazda Miata 5 speed

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now I know I brought up the Miata engine & transmission as a possible swap for our Alpines, but I'm a bit more of a purist than to do a total swap. I don't know if it can be done, and I don't claim to be an engineer or even that much of a mechanic but has the mazda 5 speed ever been considered for the Rootes engine? I've thought about a Ford 5 speed, but the Miata might have better ratios?

All I know is that I have to do something for my S4 because no matter what I do that 4 speed leaks oil like a sieve! (at least it works well for rust protection on the bottom end of the car!:rolleyes:

I have a guy that could possibly make up an adapte plate to bolt it up to the engine so, I guess I'm looking for someone to shoot holes in my thoughts before I just buy a trans & try to convert.
Thanks!
Cheers!
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

Since you are a purist, you should look for an Alpine overdrive transmission; that way you wouldn't have to modify anything, and it would still be all Sunbeam. Another type transmission might need modifying of the body to make it fit, and would probably cost more to convert, than finding an Alpine overdrive.

Jose:)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Miata 5 speed

Hi Jose,
I've already got the o/d trans, and I'm not that much of a purist. I don't mind making modern changes to my S4 since it the car that gets driven the most.
Besides, the O/d leaks!
Cheers!
Steve

skywords

Donation Time
Hello Steve
I agree with Jose. The OD's are hard to find and pricey but the experience of driving one is worth it. My latest car a Series II with OD has made a believer out of me. I am coverting one of my cars to a different engine also. Best of both worlds. Although the route I have chosen will probably make me wish I had gone the V-6 route. Lots of work in a conversion of any kind but I think Jose has taken much of the agrevation out of it with his kit. Don't reinvent the wheel go with a V-6 if you transplant a different power plant, there is so much support and proven solutions to the problems incountered one would be nuts to go a different way.

If you go with the OD it requires the transmission with a different mainshaft.

Rick

AlpineII

Donation Time
I have a Series II with O/D that I am just finishing restoring and my next project will be a V6 in my Series III. It's going ot be fun.:D

Jim E

Donation Time
I think the Toyota 5 speed conversion would be the way to go unless you have acess to a very good machinest.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
miata 5 speed

I know about the Toyota trans conversions and have heard that they're pretty good, I just don't care for where the shifter comes up through the floor. I know of the Ford Sierra 5 speed that can have the rails cut so it comes up in the stock location, I was just wondering if the Mazda might fit without that kind of modification.

Anyone have measurements?
Cheers!
Steve

By the way, I want to keep the Rootes engine.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
5 Speed

I just dumped all my info on supplyers for the toy 5 speed tranny convert. an out fit in AU has a terrific setup and all is included. You supply the transmission or he does. He uses sunbeam housings, cuts the welds a new face on drills and such all brackets,, not cheap, but a bolt up deal.. I almost went that way, but a new OD tranny came avail.

http://conversioncomp.co.nz/

Sunbeam Rapier to Supra 5 speed gearbox.

I have the kit in stock . I would have to prepare a gearbox. Reworked, with new input bearing & seal.

Conversion kit ; inc full clutch kit, & air shipping. N Z $ 2560.00
" " " " " " with gearbox & air shipping $ 5070.00

Delivery : kit only, 3 days from payment + shipping time, 7-10 days
Kit with gearbox, 7 " " " " " "

WE accept ; visa - mastercrad.

Regards
Colin Dray

Conversion Components
Waihi, New Zealand