• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for 1 LAT70 wheel...

66Tiger

Donation Time
Hello All,
Looking for One LAT70 wheel...or LAT70 style wheel (made by P/S, Western,etc...)...in decent restorable condition at a decent price.

This is for a non-rolling automotive project, it can be 5.5" or 6" wide (needs to be 13"diameter though), or even any bolt pattern for that matter. It doesn't need to hold air in a tire. It just needs to be something that will look nice when cleaned up.

Somebody must have something laying around in their garage! Please contact me with details and I will respond.

Thanks,
Paul

66Tiger

Donation Time
I am not looking to spend $250...no more than say $125...it can be a generic version since I will be cutting it in half.

Paul

Jim E

Donation Time
I have four of the after market version of this wheel , Western, just not sure I want to split them up, can you use them all?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are you building an LAT coffee table or something? Think it would be along shot for someone to break a set of those up.. given the wheel featured on lots of cars in various sizes and bolt patterns.. maybe hunt around ebay.. search under corvair etc, think they used them too.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Good Question...here is one of the non-official Sunbeam wheels

genericLAT70.jpg

Very similar to the LAT wheel...but without a center hub cast as part of the wheel. The difference in wheels is not that important to me.

Paul

66Tiger

Donation Time
Here is what I am up...

chevybar.jpg

This is a bar, I want to do a desk and make mine a Sunbeam version...but you get the idea.

I have the nose of an Alpine that was beyond salvaging (even the nose is pretty rough)...so I thought it might make a cool desk!

And yes, the Fitch Sprint Corvair used these wheels, the Datsun Z guys sometimes use a 14" version. Heck, there even was a 15" version made for VW Bugs.

I know it's a long shot to get one wheel...but I have time. I know of a couple sets out there ranging from $100 to $200 for the whole set, but with shipping costs it ends up being the price of one of Sunbeam Specialties new ones.

I watch ebay all the time...some 13" wheels for a Fiat have been offered twice and haven't sold. Once in a while you see individual wheels come up for auction (I had no money at the time though!)....people trying to maximize what they get ($$$$) on their auction.

You never know...maybe someone has one left over from a wreck or just hanging on the garage wall...or something...so I am putting out feelers. And I only need one wheel.

Worse comes to worse...I build the whole desk and break down to buy a brand new wheel.

Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
Given you are going to cut the wheel by the looks of that desk/bar, maybe just make one out of wood/fibreglass, plaster etc? Might be easier, cheaper and not destroying a wheel.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I have thought about doing the wheel in another material, especially if I need to buy 4 wheels. I am concerned about having a convincing looking polished aluminum finish.

I plan on doing the hood in fiberglass after mocking up a LAT style scoop on a spare hood I have, not wanting to cut that up.

Paul

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
In your postings you need to make it clear you'd accept a damaged wheel, too. Clearly, it doesn't need to be servicable.

I would bet there is a damaged one available for far less than a $100.00.

Otherwise, even ones that are fair are getting 140-150.00

Steve