• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Little Brake Parts

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All;
Somehow one of the little clips that fit over the pin that goes through the brake shoe to hold it snug has managed to free itself. The clip is somewhat mangled, but maybe still usable, but the pin fell out somewhere on the road.
Does anyone know where I can get replacements? Are there comparable parts available that may fit from another manufacturer, perhaps MG or North American that may be easier to source.
Only a few driving days left in the season, so I would like to get back on the road ASAP.

Thanks, James

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
You know, somewhere back in the memory banks I recall a discussion about Honda rear shoe 'studs' being very similar, but slightly longer than Alpine 'studs.' Don't recall the year, or where I ran across it... possibly
on the old board. But, it seems like a washer or two pinched between the head of the 'stud' and the backing plate could prove workable. An appropriate sized machine screw with the spring and a pair of jam nuts may also work in a pinch... at least until the proper parts arrive. Although they are important for proper brake operation, they certainly don't have a lot of force applied to them.

Ken

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
After I posted my original request, I got to thinking about an alternate fix.
Is there any reason why using a machine screw with a rubber washer or 2 for a bit of flex, and a nylon wing nut to hold it all together, would not work?
The pin and spring retainer system seems pretty low tech and I don't know if it serves any real purpose other than to hold all the bits together while your removing or installing the brake drum.

Thanks, James

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
the pins and retainers are failrly standard Grling components.
If Rick at SS does not have them, try Moss, they are the sameon the back of the TR5.
I would NOT recomment the use of nylon nuts in there, brakes tend to get pretty hot.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I agree re: nylon and hi temps. Previous post edited.
If TR5 (?) specific parts also work, please post compatible
year/part number for... drum roll... the parts substitution listing!
(Since I'm supposed to be thinking about that.)

As a point of indemnification, I suppose I should note that any non-factory parts substitutions in 'mission critical' areas, like brakes, steering and fuel, are the opinion of the individual submitter, and not that of the SAOCA. They are presented as information, not advice. Anyone who says otherwise is itching for a fight!:eek:

Ken

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
When I couldn't find any replacement parts locally I found that a number of modern cars use very similar clip/pin system for handbrake systems (eg if they have rear disks)
I believe that the ones I ended up using were from a Toyata Landcruiser, year unknown, together with some cut-off hillman imp valve springs to get the "correct" spring rate!
Be careful that the pin system is short enough to avoid fouling the drum.

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks to Sam in Texas for sending me a set of SV pins and springs. The pins are about a half inch too long, but the springs are very close to the same size. On my way to the expensive British parts and repair money pit, I notice a brake shop at a stop light I was waiting for. One of those generic ones, but obviously in business for many years. I though I would give it a try. The guy new what I wanted, but said almost every parts kit he has seen uses the springs, and not the clips. When I mentioned that I only really needed the pin, he went in the back and found one only about 1/16" longer than the original. Apparently a common item. New pin with a thin washer to take the extra space, and Sam's springs; On the road again.

Thanks All

James