• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Forest Gump's mother said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.”

The good news is that Emily and I finally moved from Conyers, GA (east-metro Atlanta) to Fitzpatrick, AL (out in the boonies about 5 miles South of Shorter, AL) to be close to her family. The other good news is that I have a 750 sq.ft. detached shop.

The bad news is that I can't use the shop. Two weeks after we moved, my right quadriceps tendon ruptured I and went down in a heap. Had surgery two days later and it looks like 3-4 months in a knee brace, lots of physical therapy and 6-8 months for a "full" recovery.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like you got a bad chocolate!

Is there any thing I can help you with?

Advice is stay as busy as possible with out hurting your self.

Prayers are with you

DanR

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Recovery so far has been quicker than was initially indicated. I can now "walk" using a high-tech brace that keeps me from bending the knee too far (currently 60 degrees). The next big goal is 90 degrees which will allow me to sit normally in a chair and may allow me to drive. Maybe 3-4 more weeks if I do my homework.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Design the shop to be useful at your current ability level. We are at the beginning of a 120 mile move. Some of the current equipment will be left behind in favor of smaller stuff of the same ability. An example is the 8" 4 jaw chuck that threads onto the lathe spindle. It is so heavy it is at the boundary of my strength and a danger to me and my feet. The 5" chuck that mounts into the headstock spindle (via Morse taper) is not a 100% replacement, more like 90%. I have not had to grapple with 8" er for the last couple of years, which is what it's replacement was designed to do. It is possible the big boy will be moved but never used. The milling machine at 1200 pounds will be left in favor of a much smaller 400 pound with greater capacity.
Bill

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
As Forest Gump's mother said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.”

The good news is that Emily and I finally moved from Conyers, GA (east-metro Atlanta) to Fitzpatrick, AL (out in the boonies about 5 miles South of Shorter, AL) to be close to her family. The other good news is that I have a 750 sq.ft. detached shop.

The bad news is that I can't use the shop. Two weeks after we moved, my right quadriceps tendon ruptured I and went down in a heap. Had surgery two days later and it looks like 3-4 months in a knee brace, lots of physical therapy and 6-8 months for a "full" recovery.
Been there. Good luck, and follow the rehab instructions and you'll recover fine.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

It's amazing what good wishes, three new holes in my kneecap, some 100 lb. monofilament and a LOT of physical therapy can accomplish. In addition to forecasting bad weather, I can now do pretty much anything except run, go down stairs or kneel down. Another couple of months and I should be back to "old fart normal."

Happy New Year to all !!!