• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Licence Plate

mickjj

Donation Time
Can someone tell me where the rear licence plate is supposed to go on a Series 1. Looking at gallerys etc some are set on the trunk below the "SUNBEAM", some below the bumper and some on the bumper. It is confusing to say the least.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
To my knowledge there is no true "factory" placement for the license plate. Here in the States it was really left up to the dealer, which is why you see such a variety - on the trunklid, on the bumper, below the bumper (same thing with external mirrors and radio antenna).

Based on numerous period photos I've seen over the years the trend seems to be below the bumper for state-side early Series Alpines, and on the trunklid for British / European Alpines.

I'm sure others will have just as convincing an argument for another way to mount them, but the best answer for you is "wherever you like".

alpine_64

Donation Time
To my knowledge there is no true "factory" placement for the license plate. Here in the States it was really left up to the dealer, which is why you see such a variety - on the trunklid, on the bumper, below the bumper (same thing with external mirrors and radio antenna).

Based on numerous period photos I've seen over the years the trend seems to be below the bumper for state-side early Series Alpines, and on the trunklid for British / European Alpines.

I'm sure others will have just as convincing an argument for another way to mount them, but the best answer for you is "wherever you like".

Scott,

I'd have to say despite many stateside alpines having the rear plates bellow the bumper, that was never the intended location, the lights to illuminate the rear plates were placed facing the boot face from the factory, yes you can rotate them 180 if under the bumper, but the recess in the body for the boot lock and plate light indicate they intended it to be on the boots vertical face.

65beam

Donation Time
license plate

the problem i've seen with mounting the plate on the trunk is that it tends to beat against the trunk lid and if you tighten the bolts really tight it dempels the trunk. after spending a lot of dollars on a good restoration the less holes i have on the main part of the body the better i like it. if sunbeam intended for the plate to be on the trunk,why did they not design a permanent trunk mount? the ones used on the late series 5 cars was dealer installed . like scott said,this could be a discussion that could last forever.

alpine_64

Donation Time
if sunbeam intended for the plate to be on the trunk,why did they not design a permanent trunk mount?

I'd say they expected people to screw them straight onto the body as they did in the UK, the front you have a bracket on SI/II that hinges to allow quick access for a crank start (and it would be harder to simply screw it on the front). For me the body impression and the direction of the light indicates the intended placement on the rear...

that said.. on my SII i have it bellow the bumper and the only reason its above on the Tiger is the previous owner had mounted a bracket there.. im all for less holes in body work.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
My number plate is fixed to the boot (trunk) lid and I made some rubber spacers to allow the plate to stand proud of the lid by about 1/4 inch. Slice pieces from 1/2 inch hose or use tap (faucet?) washers cut to size.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My 1964 Series IV had the plate under the bumper, and I moved it to the trunk lid, so that the lights for the plate would make it more visible, since the plate was reflective, The tail lights on our Alpines aren´t that big and I wanted to enhance the visibility from the rear at night. The lit up plate helps a lot.

Jose

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Not that this was original but the plate bracket that somebody was selling a few years ago which was captured by the trunk lid handle was a really nice solution. It didn't require any drilling of holes in the sheet metal.

I liked it so much I made one for my car.

I was always surprised Rootes never had a thought out solution regarding the rear plate mount. THe early cars had that nice number plate solution mounted to the front.... it just seemed odd not to have a thought out solution for the rear.

Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not that this was original but the plate bracket that somebody was selling a few years ago which was captured by the trunk lid handle was a really nice solution. It didn't require any drilling of holes in the sheet metal.

I liked it so much I made one for my car.

I was always surprised Rootes never had a thought out solution regarding the rear plate mount. THe early cars had that nice number plate solution mounted to the front.... it just seemed odd not to have a thought out solution for the rear.

Steve

Rootes not thinking something through... Steve are you really surprised?

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
plate placement potential

Any photos I have of series 1 ( original british cars ) the plate is mounted on the boot. This is just a lovely place to put a blight on such a pretty car. I say, get it off the trunk and under the bumper where it's not an obstruction to admirer's views.
Is there anyone out there who does'nt work for the ministry of transportation that thinks the plate on the boot ( trunk ) looks good?:rolleyes:

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I, like Steve, have the plate that is help on by the boot handle. It works perfectly and does not require any extra holes be drilled. I bought it online about 4 years ago but I don't remember where from and they don't seem to be available anymore. I can take pictures if someone would like to duplicate?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Any photos I have of series 1 ( original british cars ) the plate is mounted on the boot. This is just a lovely place to put a blight on such a pretty car. I say, get it off the trunk and under the bumper where it's not an obstruction to admirer's views.
Is there anyone out there who does'nt work for the ministry of transportation that thinks the plate on the boot ( trunk ) looks good?:rolleyes:

I don't work for the MOT and think the boot is by default a better location.

<shrug> opinions/mileage may vary but one could posit that using a tag as a "third mud flap" is not appealing.

Perhaps I will try it though, see how it goes, but it's not clear what bracket I'm missing to attach the tag below the bumper.

mickjj

Donation Time
I, like Steve, have the plate that is help on by the boot handle. It works perfectly and does not require any extra holes be drilled. I bought it online about 4 years ago but I don't remember where from and they don't seem to be available anymore. I can take pictures if someone would like to duplicate?

It would be great if you could post a couple of pictures. I am just about to take the Alpine of the road and start stripping all the chromework off for replating so I could play around and see if I can duplicate the bracket.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I run two, since the car has a history of being registered in both the UK and the US. Mine won't help in the search to figure out a bracket but something is better than nothing.

When it was in England (and I don't particularly care for that arrangement, the US plate isn't really suited to being below, like the UK plate is):

sunbeamathomeincoventry.jpg

Below, the only rear shot I could find of how I have it now. The UK plate below the bumper isn't in the way of anything, hence my leaving it there. The holes in the bootlid for the US plate pretty much dictate that plate being there, in conjuction with the plate light of course. I really don't mind the US plate on the bootlid honestly and using plastic spacers between the plate and the boot prevents any issues. Just my deflated 2 cent opinion but the boot lid without a plate is rather bland. I reviewed many of my pics of Beams, and even in the UK, of the rear shots I have of cars (didn't realize how seldom I take pics from the rear) they all have the plates on the bootlid.

sunbeamliftlr1.jpg

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
License Plate

I haven't re-installed yet as I am still finishing my S-II but I will be using the front plate carrier from a Rover 2000. It is chrome plate and has the same exact contour as the trunk lid when fitted up snug against the trunk lift plate. Also it has a fitted rubber seal all around except a few inches at the bottom to allow moisture to escape. As such it sits about 1 inch below the letters . I will remove the trunk lift.
I plan to use magnetic attachment as I welded the holes I had punched years ago.
I will send anyone a picture, if interested , if you send your e-mail.