• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ignition Switch Core

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My aftermarket ignition switch suddenly decided to keep the key. Finally got the key out, but the switch still wants to eat them. Time for a different switch. Found a Lucas ignition switch, but no key. Ordered a new tumbler and keyset from triple C. Now to get the old tumbler out. Looking at an old thread, I see there is a lever inside the switch can, that when depressed, will release the tumbler. Yeah, sure. Except there is no lever inside my switch. I do see a fairly heavy coil spring. I press on the spring, but nothing releases. Does that mean the tumbler will pop out if I pry on it? Or will I just turn it into junk?

If it helps, there are two sets of numbers stamped into the side of the can. 34680E and 3574
Bill

Acollin

Donation Time
I have had talented locksmiths make working keys for automotive ignitions without an old key to work from. That said, a good tech would probably be able to figure out how to replace your tumbler also.

Also , I suspect the “heavier” spring you see returns the key from start to running position. I would be surprised if prying on something spring loaded ( if it is moving freely) will produce a positive outcome. Have you tried pushing in and twisting? Have you looked for a hole of some kind that might receive a pin to release the mechanism.

pictures of your issue might help
be well
Andrew

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes. I have located the hole, that is how I found the coil spring where the lever is supposed to be. Your comment about key return sounds good. The spring looks like it would be good for the job. No way I can take a photo that would be helpful. Said hole is only about 3/16" diameter.
Bill

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My original ignition switch has a different part number than what you listed. Anyways ...

There's a little post that sticks up to retain the cylinder in the switch. The post needs to be depressed to remove the cylinder. I used a small pin punch, maybe 1/8", inserted in the hole to depress the post and remove the cylinder. When the post was depressed I used a small flat blade screwdriver at the front of the cylinder to pry it out a little bit. Once it is pried out a bit, you can use your fingers to pull it out the rest of the way.

1699591945550.png

I used too much force and pushed out the retaining washer and spring from the cylinder. The washer is basically a press fit into the hole.

1699590945561.png

1699591050764.png

If you are seeing the spring through the small ignition switch housing hole, then maybe the cylinder has been rotated 180 degrees.

Mike

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, looks like I'm in for an adventure. If nothing else, I will straighten the tabs holding the plastic core into the aluminum shell. Somehow I'm thinking Lucas changed the switch as I probably have a 1974 switch. Who knows what they changed? I'll be lucky if the core will work in this shell. I think Barry said this 20 some years ago. "With a car like this you do not have problems, you have Adventures."

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, I have several Ignitition switches, new and old, if you want me to sens you a couple let me know. ALso I have an excellent "old time Locksmith available"

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Drilled a hole 180 degrees from the existing hole. Good idea, but no lever. Dan, looks like I'm probably going to have to take you up on your offer. Does not need to be a good switch, I have a new tumbler and key on the way. I'm afraid that if this switch does not come apart in the same way as the old Alpine switch, what else is different?
Bill

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
31953 was the Lucas part number for the 47SA-type ignition switch used in all Series Alpine and Tiger. They were supplied in red & white boxes, tho switches purchased by Rootes were repackaged into Rootes-branded bags. Sometime in the early '70's, the part number was superseded by 34680 and now came in orange boxes. Side-by-side comparison of the switches were virtually the same until the early 1980's when the terminals were much thinner, and the overall quality was diminished. Then Lucas reintroduced our 47SA-type switch with a new part number and in green boxes along with a cylinder and keys that functioned.

These (green boxed) switches, cylinders and accompanying keys are junk!!

You can sometimes find the early orange boxed ones and, if so, I'd look for anything date-stamped before 1976ish. The terminals, inner switch, body and springs are sturdier and well worth the extra price. Sadly, our Sunbeam parts suppliers only offer the green junk replacements.

Mark ..... volvoguys