• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hydraulic throwout/release bearings

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Who are the manufacturers/sellers of the hydraulic throwout bearings? Are they all as pricey as the one from Summit Racing? That external slave job looks nice and would save some money, but I doubt if I have the fabricating skills to make the bracket and get it to fit right. I assume that with the hydraulic bearing all you have to connect are the two fluid lines to the master cylinder. And can an Alpine master do the job?

I'll be using a Mustang II clutch and bellhousing and a T5. I have the clutch disk and cover plate but still haven't settled on a bearing. If I use a conventional one, I'd need all the other parts--clutch fork, pivot ball, etc.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Sam,

You are in luck, because you won't need to fab your own bracket to make the external slave work. Jim Ellis makes them, but you'd have to ask him if he has any in stock. The hydraulic throw out bearing, is not as easy to make work as you might think, plus they are pretty expensive to boot.

Jose:)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Will the Alpine MV clutch master cylinder work ok with the slaves mentioned in conversion articles?

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Definitely go with Jim E's external set up. I have the Tilton setup and while it is working fine now, I always have that nagging feeling that it's going to leave me somewhere a long way from my garage. Also, at least in my case, it was not easy to set it up and I had to order a few different sleeves for it. Jim's setup is by far an easier system and way, way, cheaper.
Good Luck,
Bryan
:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What's with the reliablility of the aftermarket stuff?

We have a 2000 ZX2 with 120,000 miles and a '03 Focus with 102,000. Our son has a '99 ZX2 with 105,000. No clutch problems of any sort. As near as I can tell, they have the internal slave. It's not like I lead a charmed life. If 1% of anything is bad, there is a 99% chance I''ll get the bad one.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
What's with the reliablility of the aftermarket stuff?

We have a 2000 ZX2 with 120,000 miles and a '03 Focus with 102,000. Our son has a '99 ZX2 with 105,000. No clutch problems of any sort. As near as I can tell, they have the internal slave. It's not like I lead a charmed life. If 1% of anything is bad, there is a 99% chance I''ll get the bad one.

Bill
It isn't just the reliability of the after market hydraulic throw out bearings; the cost is a lot more than the external slave cylinder. Also, modifying either the transmission, or something else to make it work, can be a pain. The McCloud hydraulic bearing that I used to use, comes with an extra set of seals, because it will need them. The OEM hydraulic throw out bearings seem to be better made, because they do seem to last. The Tilton is even more expensive, but I have run into the same kind of problems with it.

I have found that it is so much easier to fix an external slave cylinder, than to have to remove the engine, in order to fix a problem with the internal one. It is necessary to remove the engine, on the V6, because the T5 five speed transmission is too long to remove it by itself from the Alpine.

Jose:)

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, I should have been more specific in my explanation. I have the Tilton and it is a really nice unit. I've been told that it's better than the McCloud. That being said, during my initial setup, I still had to pull the engine over a dozen times to get it setup correctly. If you're the type that enjoys pulling and installing the engine many times and cleaning up hydraulic fluid then the internal might be the way to go. The other thing is, at least when I checked into it a few years back, the external setup is less than half the cost of the internal. So, for less money and far fewer headaches I think the external setup is the way to go.
Have Fun,
Bryan
:)