• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hushmat placement

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Lots of posts about Dynamat/Hushmat, but bear with me as I have a few specific questions.
This is for a Tiger, but probably similar issues for an Alpine.
Seems Hushmat has the nod over Dynamat, at least for value. Much difference between 50, 70 and 80 mm thickness? Seems to be the same composition, just different thicknesses.
Single thickness, or any benefit to more than one layer? Double up in certain high heat areas?
I was not planning to use Lizard Skin or similar, but if so, under or over the sheet metal?
How high up the firewall? Dash and blower etc are in place already. Up to the pedal pivots, and steering column opening? Higher? Would have been a lot easier prior to dash install.
Lateral footwell areas- inside the cavity, or covering the openings, then covered by the panels?
Trans tunnel- I still have the original cardboard type material in place. Remove, or cover it in place?
Inner rocker, where the cardboard was originally. Underneath or on top of the battery cable?
Presumably I would cover the vertical area behind the seats, and the parcel shelf. What about the vertical panel that hides the soft top on later cars- does that interfere with the attachment of the waist roll at the top?
Any value to covering the trunk area, such as inner rear fenders behind the gas tanks? I would guess it would help some with noise. What about the forward part of the trunk that separates it from the passenger compartment? That would stay visible and exposed to trauma.
Appreciate any help, David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
To each his own.... I prefer Dynamat, maybe because it has proven to me to do what I wanted & expected.

If you are able to start with a clean Sunbeam/Alpine/tiger, I apply POR15 to the bare metal, then Dynamat covering the entire inside of the Sunbeam (inside doors; firewall; trunk; inside rear fenders & behind the gas tanks; under the dash.... then apply Lizard Skin by brush in atleast two coats.

Even my Hard Tops get the same treatment.

Not bothered by noise and heat.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. Had wondered why the Lizard Skin was on top of, rather than under, the insulation? Ever have any cracking due to the substrate having some flexibility?
Can it be used on the underside of the sheet metal, to reflect some of the heat? And you feel the Dynamat is worth the premium price? DHH

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dynamat is worth the premium price
Yes David..... I tried Eastwood's supposed to be equal or better than Dynamat about 6 - 7 years ago to complete a job I started on the Green1. Ran out of the Dynamat and saw Eastwood's being a tad cheaper, went with theirs ( 1 box) to finish the job. A short time later I noticed some strange black stuff dripping from the bottom of the Green1 onto my workshop floor. Investigated and discovered it was their "tar/insulation" dripping at and below room temp 68 to 75 degrees.

It was and "still" is a mess to clean up. That was 6 to 7 years ago. The problem still exist even to day!!!!!!!!!
I think I pointed this out to you once while you were here. Cutting corners have never worked well for me.

Outside of setting a torch to the stuff there is hardly anyway to remove this mess.... Yes, I did make a complaint to Eastwood, several times. Nothing came of it.

I use the Lizard Skin on top of, rather than under the Dynamat because I don't think the mat would stick quite as well.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
David, here's a links to the original POST.....

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. I remember your difficulties with the Eastwood product, but was not aware if it was Hushmat. They also sell a product called X-Mat, that I have not seen much info about on this forum. Any way to know for sure which product worked out so poorly for you? Sounds like a total PITA. Anyone else have negative experience with either Hushmat or X-mat? Has either melted and run for anyone else? It appears that Dynamat and Hushmat and X-Mat all use butyl rubber as their core. So not sure what to believe.nd which way to go. Any information appreciated. David